Painting a drainpipe

We've got a black plastic 6" downpipe on the outside of the house. /She/ wants it painted, preferably to match the rest of the house. How do you paint that stuff? I'd expect ordinary paint to just run off.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Bedec paint:

Alan

Don't do it! You would be making a rod for your own back.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Solvent based paint works.

Reply to
alan_m

Clean it off properly with water and a few drops of detergent, then when it's dry with white spirit, let it dry thoroughly, and go straight on it with a solvent-based gloss (e.g. Dulux).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I've used ordnary gloss paint. 40 years on, It could do with repainting.

Reply to
charles

Vir Campestris expressed precisely :

I used a cheap outdoor black metal and wood gloss paint from Lidl around four years ago, on all of my exterior pipes. I had a mix of black sewer pipes, grey and white from baths and sinks. They were all rather faded. I just cleaned them down, tidied up any loose ones and painted them all black. They still look freshly painted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

About 10 years ago I had a professional painter in to repaint the woodwork on the north facing outside of my house. He took it into his head to do the black plastic guttering and downpipes at the same time. Looks bloody awful now, going to be cheaper just to get it replaced with new black plastic rather than clean off the old stuff.

Reply to
Davidm

I painted my black downpipes white with a solvent based gloss 30 years ago and they still looked good until touched up a couple of years ago when the whole front of the house got a major makeover (paint wise).

Reply to
alan_m

First of all find the lyrics/listen to the song for suburbia "My pink half of the drainpipe" by sadly missed performer Vivian Stanshall . For a comic, extremely fitting way to die, he managed to set fire to his chest hair , smoking while drunk.

Reply to
N_Cook

6" ??. Big downpipe. How big is your roof area ?
Reply to
Andrew

It's a soil pipe.

We don't have gutters, the house is thatched.

The pipe went in when we went all 20thC and installed a toilet upstairs.

Thanks all

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Oddly, PVC is very easy to paint. Just make sure it is clean, and use the oil based top coat direct. It will last longer than 'properly' painted wood in the same location.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

ah, but surely it will be a 110mm pipe, so 4+ inches ?

Reply to
Andrew

<fx shrugs> ICBW.

Andy