Subject Author Posted Replies

OT ish entry level NAS...
Can anyone point me to a/some reasonably specced & priced options for a basic NAS device? Can it be as simple as a couple of TB on a portable hard drive plugged into the usb port of my router? Or...
24
24

OT: Fire on Dartmoor
'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning? The cause of the fire on remote moorland near Tavistock, Devon is under...
10
10

Rebuilding a chimney with no experience
Hi All, I’ve never done DIY before and our chimney stack is leaking. Some bricks in the stack are broken and it generally looks like a rebuild is in order. We have a wood burner running through one...
26
26

OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR
Royce, who uniquely do not employ Art Students to design power stations, have completed feasibility studies on what will be if it comes to pass, the first reactor design in Britain to have been...
223
223

Endless war, punctuated by sporadic ceasefires...
List of military conflicts spanning multiple wars [This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items with reliable sources.] 499 BC ? 448 BC Greco-Persian Wars 322 BC - 275 BC Wars of the...

Just found a nice book from 1970,....very interesting...
"Ecological Crisis: Readings For Survival", edited by Glen A. Love & Rhoda M. Love, 1970, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich [Contents] Prophecy, ............................ page 1 Eco-Catastrophe, by Paul...
13
13

Name stamp for wooden tools
I use a few of my grandfather?s tools (early 1900?s) e.g. wooden planes, cramps, squares and mallet, which have his name stamped on them. The letters are approx 1/4? (6mm) high and look as though they...
5
5

No margin for error
Just finished installing our Myson kickspace heater. It had already been positioned and plumbed and wired in with just the cosmetic work to be done, namely fitting the grill. This involves cutting out...
1
1

Boiler Noise
After 3 component failures in the past few months (heat engine, water pressure sensor, pressure gauge), it's looking like my Ideal Logic + is on to its 4th. On starting heat or water and for about 5...
17
17

OT - Tesco even a little snow is to muich for them to deliver
The paper was delivered this morning, the postman came with a parcel but Tesco have phoned to say that they will not be delivering our food order tomorrow or on any other day. We have had about three...
4
4

Blue tooth
New hearing aids have blue tooth capability. Work perfectly with Spotify on phone but drop out occasionally when listening to Spotify on newish Dell desk top. Why should this happen ??
25
25

Webcams
I just replaced a very elderly, very cheap webcam with a higher-res but still mid-budget model. Is there any way of zooming the image to restrict its coverage? The camera itself doesn't use a...
14
14

Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?
Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it will burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get going and up to temperature quickly. My log store (builder's...
35
35

Tried to order something from Europe..
"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a free trade deal with. Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a free trade deal with China......
178
178

OT: 300 years of coal in UK ?
Prompted by the recent Cumbrian coal news, I recall being told at school in the 70s that the UK was sitting on 300 years worth of coal. Presumably extractable with the technology of the day, even if...
47
47