LEAVING

I AM HERE TO SAY GOODBYE TO THE GROUP FOR A LITTLE WHILE ... WHICH I LOVE SO MUCH! MY WIFE SAYS I'M IN THIS GROUP EVERY 20 SECONDS AND SHE CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! WE ARGUED AND SHE TOLD ME TO CHOOSE BETWEEN HER OR THE GROUP. SO I AM GOING TO BE OFFLINE FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES WHILE I PACK HER BAGS, AND CALL HER A UBER! I'LL BE RIGHT BACK...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well done you've made the right choice ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Can we have her contact details to express our kind regards and thanks?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Plagiarism

GB

rumbled...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

no idea

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Would you not actually suspect she would be right if you really are addicted to this group? I mean, every 20 seconds, you are suffering from addictive behaviour disorder. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

yes

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

There was something in the news, not so long ago, about Uber drivers in Glasgow taking cash in hand, rather than putting the journey through the app. That is illegal, as it negates the driver's private car insurance and it is not covered by Uber's insurance either.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

but good if you are cheap like me ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Then it is surely dependent upon the individual driver's policy?

Not all private hire drivers work for Uber, and the normal model (pre-Uber) was for the owner of the car to have his own "hire and reward" insurance policy. Receiving payment from passengers in cash was absolutely standard with such policies and business models and still will be for drivers working for more "traditional" companies.

Unless insurance companies have either stopped offering older-style H&R policies or otherwise have converted all their insurance offers to align with Uber's business model, the claim of illegality isn't easily supportable. After all, all the traditional firms (where you ring up) are operating the system with a two-way radio, etc.

Reply to
JNugent

I'm going by what I remember from a newspaper reported the Glasgow police as saying. It is for you to decide how accurate that might be.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

My understanding of the law is that private hire drivers, while more usually to be found working through an entity known as the operator ("Bill's Cars", "Imperial Cars", "Uber", etc) are still entitled to make their own private pre-booked arrangements with passengers. Their insurance will cover them for that *unless* (perhaps) it is provided by Uber (or similar) and has a clause ruling out driver-specific frolics.

Reply to
JNugent

Excellent decision, Jim; I'd have done the same.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Do you know Jim's wife as well...?

Reply to