Subject Author Posted Replies

Making a metal detector?
Watching the TV programme about Aussie Gold Hunters, I wonder what is the technology of metal detectors? My guess is that the search paddle contains a tuned circuit that is detuned by metal nearby and...
8
8

Convert your angle grinder into a wood lathe
Don't forget your eye protection, and anything else that might get hit by flying debris. :-) Мало кто знает об этой функции БОЛГАРКИ !!! Смотрите крутые...
1
1

Hispec Smoke/Heat Detectors
Poss one for Adam . . . I'm helping my sister equip her house in Scotland to meet the new incoming smoke detector regs/law there (and yes it is retrospective). A rambling layout leads to needing...
8
8

Annoying Gmail
Gmail login, mail download and upload works fine on my laptop at home, on my home network, but away from home - no chance.... Away I use another laptop, usually via a mobile network, with my phone...
11
11

Mains power instead of battery?
We have a wireless alarm at work, i'm sick of replacing the batteries in the sensors*. I presume to alleviate this bother i'd just need to attach a suitable wall wart to the battery terminals? Also it...
12
12

Bicycle chain (lower end) vibrates up and down during normal cycling
My wife had her pedelec (electrically-assisted bicycle) serviced the other day. They needed to replace the chain. Since then the chain has been noisy during normal cycling in a higher gear, and the...
33
33

Dual diameter HSS bit.
Can't find one. A they available? I want to drill nearly 200 holes in corrugated iron, so something that will do it in one go would be good. I don't want a step drill bit. Something like a cross...
15
15

Vigil
Not sure in which group to pose this question ... After watching the first episode of Vigil last night, I wonder what are the multiple waterfall displays shown in the submarine's control room? Are...
16
16

Any recommendations for semi-decent switched 'trailing mains extension leads'?
Hi all as per the subject line really. I would like to get a few trailing mains extension leads, but with a few criteria: - individually switched sockets - all socket in line, not eg. in two rows so...
15
15

Best energy comparison sites for electricity only?
We use a lot of electricity, bills approaching £3000/year at the moment, this is basically because we have a semi-disabled M-I-L living with us who uses a lot of electricity for heating. There's not...
18
18

Buying a plastic strip about 20mm x 28mm x 5m
I have a long piece of plastic. The cross section is rectangular 20mm by 28mm but one corner is curved. The length is a little less than 5m. The strip runs above the door of a double garage. I want to...
6
6

Henry cleaner
Today my beloved Henry suddenly started smoking! I turned off immediately, unplugged and detached everything. took it outside and found a blocked entry pipe which I cleared. Emptied the bag and...
17
17

Any still use Skarsten wood scrapers ?
Seems they went out of business quite some time ago so now I cannot easily find replacement No 62 blades. Does anyone still use one, and what are the alternatives ?. It is (was) a handy tool for...
10
10

ATM withdrawal max?
What is the latest maximum limit on a cash withdrawal from an ATM please?
28
28

Metal expansion question
So I've got this metal bar (mild steel) and it's flat and 0.19" thick. Well, it *was* 0.19" until I measured it today and now it's put on an extra 9.5 thou which I can only attribute to the weather....
7
7