Subject Author Posted Replies

Boss White gone brown. Retrievable?
I found some old Boss White plumbing joint sealant in the garage. I need it for a leaky washing machine hose joint as a temporary fix. Rather than go to a hardware shop, is it possible to squidge it...
3
3

Bronx fire
Looks like the yanks take of self closers as well then....I remember seeing a picture of a refurbished Grenfell flat with the private entrance hall removed as well....And bet every punter in every...
41
41

Torbeck valve dripping at anti-syphon assembly
I've just had to replace a faulty filling valve in a toilet cistern; as I happened to have a spare unused Torbeck valve 'in stock' (purchased about 10 years ago I reckon, stored in its original...
5
5

black gas fitters
Anybody seen the British gas advert where a rastafarian gas fitter is showing a wummin how her new boiler works....is this true to life....or the usual woke bullshit adverts we are suffering these...
26
26

USB storage for TV recording
I'm currently using a 500GB portable 2.5" hard drive/caddy to record content from my smart TV - works fine. I'd like to use a solid state device instead. 'Normal' thumb drives don't work - anybody any...
35
35

Looking for dual thread bolt with different sized ends
Where can I get a dual thread bolt with different widths on each end? Like this, but a smaller thread on one end. M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 M12. Screws are standard parts. Rod Length Thread Length. ●...
8
8

sharpening a circular saw blade
Can a blade like this be sharpened by someone like me? Triple chip grind blades for use on aluminium, hardwoods and laminates Suitable for use with mitre, table and hand held circular saws...
5
5

Any advice on making a cattle grid?
A job that will soon reach the top of the pile is making a cattle grid, primarily to stop the dog from wandering down the drive and on to the road. It needs to be 4-5m wide and about 2m front-back....
67
67

In-fireplace radiator
In our new (old) house, there's a log burner in one room, the others having normal gas CH radiators. It sits in front of a fireplace on the hearth. The fireplace is little more than a cuboid opening...
6
6

Moving a car
Car sold to a company similar to webuyanycar. That was in October. My friends have the money for the car, no longer own the car or have the keys to it. Well it's still on their driveway and blocking...
40
40

LBC adverts
I for my sins listen to LBC at times.....I hate adverts and always turn them down but Vodafone have taken their number of averts for Vodafone broadband to the next level....surely it is...
23
23

DIY FAQ
As previously discussed I have now migrated the FAQ fully to the wiki version. So now the landing pages at and go to the same entry page as I have imported a number of articles from the FAQ where...

OTish: Fixing NTFS drive with bad blocks
Hi All, I am running Ubuntu on my file server and noticed in dmesg a load of the following errors (there are a lot of other lines per instance but this seems to be the main one) blk_update_request:...
12
12

Sidney Poitier
I was a teenager when I watched "The Defiant Ones". Thereafter I knew that any picture madee with him was goint tyo be watchable. Yesterday, by chance I saw most of two of his films. Superb. When I...
14
14

A useable AS heat pump?
it's European - and I'd guess that the Swedes know a bit about heating - this might just work. No links to the manufacturer, as there's FA useful on the site - only what is in the Guardithingy.
33
33