Bolting two cabinets together

I am going to have to bolt two IKEA cabinets together:

I have been trying to find two bolts that screw into each other. I hae seen such things but I seem unable to describe them well enough for google to locate them.

Anyone know what they are called?

Reply to
pinnerite

or something similar. I think I bought some from Howdens when I did my kitchen

Reply to
Robert

inter screws like these?

SH

furniture bolts, or sex bolts

Reply to
Andy Burns

you dirty old man! :-)

Reply to
SH

Don't believe me? See the google image search, it's even SFW

Andy Burns

That's another with no common name. My magnificent bent wooden armchairs were done like that and it was a real bugger to find replacements on ebay, amazon and aliexpress. There are lots of them available, but a weird variety of names.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well I refer to them as Inter screws:

SH

sex bolts, chicago bolts, interscrews

Reply to
Animal

Is 'interscrew' another word for misogyny? (Well all this talk about sex bolts made me think that way!)

Reply to
Chris Green

Both halves shown on these.

You could also get those in antique bronze. At a much higher price. The threading style differs, from one company to the next.

It depends on cabinet wall thickness, as to how practical that is. To do a half decent job, they could be recessed, but if the cabinet wall is not very thick, it's better for the fastener to rest on the surface.

This is the female of the species.

._AC_.jpg

*******

In this one, the furniture joint connector bolt is threaded right up to the head. Allowing a 12mm female to close two surfaces together having total thickness of 14mm. In any application of this hardware, *think carefully* about what size hole to drill on each end.

While just one bolt could hold two cabinets together, obviously you should use four of them, for rock solid joining. Don't put them too close to a corner, or you won't be able to turn the hex key.

You would have to fit a 20TPI nut to the bolt, saw the bolt off, file the end, to do a 14mm join. As I don't think they make really short bolts in those. The shortest bolts might be 30mm and the 30mm bolts are not threaded to the top.

The desk I'm sitting at, uses joint connector bolts, but only because I was bored and fitted them.

You can certainly simulate such a fitment, using regular bolt and nut and two fender washers. The fender washers are there, to help spread out the loading onto the surrounding wooden surface. But it does not look nearly as nice.

I keep a good assortment of fender washers here, because I'm a kook when it comes to fixing stuff. I use fender washers for shower curtain rings :-) There is no project that does not deserve a fender washer :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

From the replies, I found what I wanted.

Thank you all.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

What are the sides made of? There used to be fittings with a tapped piece which had a serrated bottom and sides at one end which after drilling the hole you tapped into the hole, and then you used the threaded countersunk screw into it and as it tightened it bit hard until it was level. Of course you had to countersink the hole for the screw,and of course get both holes lined up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't know for sure because I have not yet purchased them but my guess is 16mm high density chipboard.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Nope, just use a sex bolt and shorten one or both.

Some of them are.

Yep.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sex bolts work a lot better.

Reply to
Rod Speed

you can use them on other woods as well as misogyny

Reply to
Animal

I say, well played that fellow.

Reply to
Rob Morley

we Used to sell those for fixing stuff to skateboards - it was a cause of embarrassment for some of the young lads.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hear Hear!

Reply to