Government electricity subsidy

For a low consumption user of electricity , ie substantially in credit at the moment, lose it come April or some such date.? Then does the utility company say , that'll do nicely , as it poskets this "credit" ?

Reply to
N_Cook

No, what would make you think it'd be clawed back?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Any credit on your account is yours and you can ask for it back at any time. The subsidy may stop or be reduced but all that means is that after April the cost of a unit of electricity is likely to rise.

Reply to
alan_m

You can ask, that doesn't mean they'll give it to you.

They are supposed to explain how they estimate your usage, but experience shows they don't do that either.

Reply to
Pancho

So no need to wrap a Faraday screen around the meter and when requested by the utility co for a reading, stating an exagerated reading.

Reply to
N_Cook

"They" don't know if you heat your house with coal or whatever. The credit is to help with the increased cost of energy as a whole - even if you don't use much in the way of electricity, your other bills will have still gone up. It's just being credited to electricity bills because almost everyone has one of those and other methods of heating are more ad-hoc. Some people don't have gas, some people get oil deliveries, some people pick up bags of solid fuel from the petrol station, etc.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I don't think so, only when its used up. It should be no different to you shoving in extra. The only difference is you cannot pocket the amount yourself.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which at the present rate of 0.00 GBP bills arriving would be about Oct

2023. Apparantly this scheme came in Oct 2022, so as long as the credit continues for a year.
Reply to
N_Cook

The monthly credit stops about now

Reply to
Andy Burns

British Gas (my elec supplier) have been paying the £66/67 into my bank for the last 5 months, they have also paid in my 'surplus credit' after my last quarterly bill, without me asking for it.

The answer is it depends who your supplier is.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Credit in a bank account sounds more dependable than credit in a utility account. Impressive, that woman in the news today, won her litigant in person court case against BA wanting her money returned rather than the voucher that BA were only going to "pay" her, for a cancelled long haul flight.

Reply to
N_Cook