Subject Author Posted Replies

Dicky laptop
It's been on all day every day for 7 years and I'd hate to dump it, but - It started to lose text under the desktop icons, reboot and it seemed ok, same again a bit later. Click on say "file" in IE...
3
3

Gutter reuse
Are there any downsides to putting old pvc guttering back up? Can rubber seals be bought, or is silicone good for the job? I know its being a bit tight, but if there's no reason to spend on new then...
4
4

TOT: Group noun for chuggers?
My neighbourhood was invaded this evening by a group of door knocking chuggers. They gathered near my home and ate their fill from snack cartons and dropped their rubbish on the pavement beside them...
17
17

Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace
Not at all. That's what my parents house built in 1953 had: cast stack and a clay branch ... Iron is /was expensive and plastic didn't exist,..
29
29

OT: Compact cameras
Very OT but does anyone know of any compact digital cameras that also have a viewfinder in addition to the rear screen? My wife has a need for something small enough to go in her pocket/handbag and...
33
33

Cutting engineered wood flooring
It's 12mm thick, click system. I'm thinking about getting one of these: things go for around £100, which is about my limit for a one off job Does anyone have first hand experience, or have any other...
14
14

Angle grinder disk thickness
Many thanks for all your comments. I had a look at a few local shops, which only stocked thick (3mm) disks at e.g. £3.99 each. So I ended up ordering some thinner ones online. Good ploint of securing...
9
9

Old lead acid batteries
In message , asalcedo writes Yes. regards
2
2

boiler recommendations? PCB blown up.
Hi, I rent one property and my tenant has been in touch to say there is no hot water. The house has a combi gas-fired boiler, model glowworm compact 100e. I have sent a gas safe registered plumber to...
4
4

Mobility Scooter
Have a mate with one of these - and he's been quoted some ridiculous figure for new batteries. Is it worth me looking at it and seeing if I can find a cheaper way?
14
14

Pump-assisted pressure for house hot water
Bad idea, I don't think you're allowed to "un-vent" a normal vented tank. The normal location of the pump is on the HW outlet from the tank. I would just block of two of the three outlets and use...
6
6

Another Use for an Angle Grinder.
GNARLY use of an ANGLE GRINDER RRRrrRRR radical!!! DIY electric boat motor. Marvel the MADNESS and obsession ~ going all the way with this one. 6500 RPM , 5333 RPM @ the shaft ~ 1.75 hp A/C or D/C...
5
5

Shoe repair paste
Recently discovered my Clarke's shoes instead of having a solid rubber heel, they have a soft sponge coated with only two millimeters thickness of rubber coating. What a rip off. The shoe repairer...
9
9

OT: iPod and sync to wrong account
FWIW iTunes got rid of DRM for music long ago. Apple's products are designed for the technically naive as well as more clued up, and one of the requirements of the all controlling system is that a...
5
5

First time with PVC pipe
Always used copper in the past, so know nothing about pvc type pipes. I am looking to add an additional hot tape to a combi boiler. Thinking about pcv because of the location of the required tap....
2
2