Green growth removal/treatment?

My shed as green growth on it and also some of my brickwork I suppose something to do with the weather, anyway how can I treat it please? Regards David

Reply to
David Park

wash it? or let it dry and die in summer?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Unpleasant but effective.

Commercial quality cold water bleach. (Rubber gloves and safety goggles) Mi= x it 10:1 with cold water. Throw in a small bottle of malt vinegar in every= 2 gallons. Spray it or brush it on. Keep safety gear on.=20

This the ONLY cure I have found to moss growing on a tarmac drive, Effectiv= e for up to 12 months when you can then repeat. I tried every commercial m= oss killer I could find, including one costing about =A370 for 25 litres. A= ll were a complete waste of money. While they killed the moss (It turned ye= llow ) it grew back immediately. Tried power brushing the dead moss. Life i= s too short and our drive is too long. The bleach turns the moss black and = it takes it up to 12 months to re-appear. I suppose if I took the time I co= uld repeat the dose more regularly and achieve total conquest. Next year.

Reply to
fred

Got a trade name you could quote?

We have gravel over tarmac on our drive, and a serious moss problem.

Reply to
Huge

Armillotox is good for this, you can get it in garden centres.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

You need to do a Google search for a local supplier as I bought it in Dublin.

Low temperature Chlorine Bleach they call it. Its used by laundries etc.

Reply to
fred

Thanks.

Reply to
Huge

The advice to add malt vinegar is poor. Acetate is a tasty food group for many mosses and moulds, so you are mixing a "fertiliser" with the bleach and will be encouraging black mould to grow because the bleach will kill off the competition and is then relatively rapidly inactivated by organic material.

Commercial preparations contain bleach, detergent and sodium hydroxide. The latter two ingredients break down the cell walls of fungi and algae and permit the bleach to do a more effective job as a biocide.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For moss, fit copper wire

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Would this work on paving slabs? We have some that have a green-ish stuff (algae?) on them, and they are dangerously slippery when wet. In previous years I've spent a day power-washing them, but this is a bit tedious, as well as being no task for cold weather.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Bull shit. I got this recipe from a qualified chemist and can verify that w= ithout the vinegar it is not as effective. For many years we kept the surro= unds on our boat windows free of moss by wiping them down with neat vinegar= .

Reply to
fred

What. Run copper wire up the drive ? That'll keep the gyppos happy.

Reply to
fred

Fred, do you think you could prevent your newsreader from adding all these blank lines, please?

Reply to
Huge

The only sure way to remove green growth is probably to vote UKIP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm a qualified (bio)chemist. Go pick an argument with a numpty.

Here's a clue BTW, don't use Google Groups, its for idiots. If you must use Google groups, don't use the "new" Google Groups because it is broken and messes up both the line length and it inserts extra carriage returns between lines.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It has worked for me. The recipe used was one bucket of warm water, two cups of cheap hypochlorite bleach (no need for the thick stuff), a half cup of a low foaming detergent, a half cup of caustic soda.

Used originally to treat a stone wall covered with algae, later used for stone slabs. Wellies, rubber gloves, goggles reccomended. You don't want it in your eye and if using a scrubbing brush tiny drops fly into the air. Wear old clothes/overalls. Any splashes will lead to white dots on clothing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Paint it red?

grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Take it out for a pub lunch? grin Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pressure washer & then bleach solution. It will come back.

Reply to
harry

Ive no intention in entering into an argument with an e.s.n. (educationally sub normaal)

Reply to
fred