Subject Author Posted Replies

Request for Comment - Garden Shed
I need a new shed, the old one is after 18 years disintegrating (it was very cheap) After the usual flaming row with SWMBO who has retracted everything she had agreed to and changed her mind denying...
33
33

Treatment for plain (ply?)wood doors
The interior doors in the sixties bungalow I'm getting ready for sale appear to be simple hollow constructions faced with plain ply. Possibly they were treated in some way when they first went in but...
7
7

Removing 'varnish' from veneer.
Really must do something about the woodwork in the old car. It's all easily removable. Got a quote of 250 gbp for having it re-done. The actual wood and veneer looks fine - it's just the 'varnish'...
12
12

Render onto s/s mesh
Hello, The pebbledash above my bay window (30s semi) had cracked extensively, revealing a galvanised mesh that was now beyond rust. So, I have knocked all the exterior render off the bay and now have...
18
18

What's wrong with the cat?
It's spent all night going out of the cat flap at the rear of the house and walking round the house and sitting at the front door to be let back the door. Alzheimers? He is, at a rough guess, about 18...
42
42

identifying wallpaper
ive fixed some penetrating damp and am replacing the wallpaper. Anyone recognise this and a source ? Ive benn through the anaglypta book in the local John Lewis and walked round the sheds. The room...

Sliding furniture on hard floors
I'm looking for recommendations for the pads that you stick to the bottom of furniture to move it on a hard floor easily and quietly. I've looked on Ebay, but there are so many and I'm not convinced...
3
3

Round "stoppers" / "fillers" / not sure what they're called
My kitchen fitters left a couple of large holes drilled in cupboards, probably for pipework that went elsewhere in the end. 20mm and 60mm. I want to fill or block them so insects can't invade the...
4
4

Worx H3
Been looking for a cordless SDS for a while. Wanted a lighter 'drill shape' one, rather than the heavy square type IYSWIM. I put up loads & loads of curtain poles & blinds. I've got a superb Makita...
16
16

Water temp
I just measured 21C incomer temp for the wiki, I expected much lower. What's typical for winter? NT
11
11

Thin plywood, where to buy?
I'm looking for plywood thinner than the 'standard' 1/8" (3.something mm) that one can buy most places. I don't need much, a couple of 8' x 4' sheets would probably be all I need for a year or so....
3
3

What is this sort of hinge called? (used to be used on kitchen cabinets among other things)
I'm looking for hinges used on cabinet doors where the hinge pin is visible on the outside, since the hinge pin is in this position the door can be opened a full 180 degrees. Sometimes (the old...
3
3

2 metre drill bits
Has anyone come across a 2m or 2.5m SDS drill bit. Another option (depending which way I can drill the hole and what the bit finds itself going through) would be a drill bit of that length which can...
12
12

rigid board floor insulation
I am going to replace chuck out the floorboards in my living room and replace them with rigid board insulation sandwiched between osb or plywood or hardboard. I'll be using 30mm or maybe 40mm polyiso...
6
6

artex mess
I wonder if anyone can explain a problem I have had with Artex. I had some= artex left over so I thought I'd put it on the ceiling of a walk-in cupboa= rd under the stairs. The ceiling had been...
5
5