Subject Author Posted Replies

white spirit and lamp oil
Want to get a small paraffin lamp going. Is the lamp oil you can buy marketed for lamps simply like white spirit or turpentine you buy in hardware stores? It seems more expensive, but is it any...
11
11

Closing ceremony
Amazing how the crowd responded to Freddy's 'performance' from his grave. One of the best bits, along with May on guitar later.
37
37

lifting heavy stone post/electric winch?
Hello, We have a stone post, roughly 4' tall by 1' by 1'. It's an old gatepost but purely ornamental. It has two hinge pins inserted but the bottom one is so near the base that it is buried. If the...
23
23

Spare bits for a shower door ?
Just been doing some 'maintenance' work (stopping leaks actually :- ) on my shower. The doors are curved glass, and run on anodised ally rails top and bottom. They do this courtesy of two double...
3
3

Simple web editing software?
Maybe stretching the definition of DIY, but I'm maintaining a small club web site where one person (expert) has defined the CSS and someone else is contributing some graphics pages built with...
48
48

2-Stroke suddenly won't start, was excellent unti now
I've been using my Ryobi strimmer all morning on and off, no problems re-starting hot or cold. I stopped and started it several times. Around lunch time it ran out of fuel so I refilled it and since...
19
19

Cable to shed - what type?
Planning to run electrical cable to shed to run a light and fridge freezer. Will pond cable do or should I used armoured? Do I need to consider capacity of the cable?
25
25

Getting a mains cable down underground ducting
I am hoping there is a trick I'm missing here, but I suspect the answer wil= l start with "dig it up". Please don't fail me ;-) Doing our garden, I have buried seven metres of ducting to run cable for...
45
45

Faulty zone valve?
We have a couple of Boss Therm BZV22 two port zone valves controlling the DHW and central heating circuits and for the last couple of days radiators have been getting hot when the CH thermostat has...
12
12

Old Suffolk Punch recoil starter versus rope kind
Last February I bought a secondhand Suffok Punch for £60 from a local lawnmower hobbyist, who refurbishes dozens of old machines. He even replaced the recoil starter last Friday for free when it...
61
61

Paint scraper Which one ?
Which is the best electric paint scraper to remove. layers of old paint on interior walls. And manageable enough not to damage the plaster
4
4

Aqualise Aquarian E96 SHower - not getting hot, no pressure
I'm looking for a diagnosis: Aqualisa Aquarian E96 mixer shower (hot and cold supply). Here: 't get hot at all. Turn up to full hot =3D very slow shower, more of a dribble, only slightly = warm. Turn...
9
9

Preparing plaster for another coat
Regular readers may not remember that I took away skirting panels in my dressing room, and I am attempting to finish it off by covering the exposed concrete with plaster. All in order to get another...
3
3

Spot the (deliberate?) mistake
An experiment on polishing marble(Bianco Carrara) using orbital sander and diamond polishing sheet Since orbital sander do not have water feeding structure, surface of the marble tend to lack water....
4
4

BOGOF - 2 questions about floors and tiling
KInd of mirror images of each other, actually: 1 I have a concrete screeded portion of a floor that is well set but I can= 't get to tiling for a while, for various reasons. As bare concrete, it's =...
6
6