Acrylic mirror material ...

Anyone had any experience of the stuff ? I have a need to make three small mirrors - about credit card size - and two of them are not square. 3mm acrylic mirror material is available dirt cheap on Fleabay, and is reckoned to be at least as good as glass. Question is, how do you cut the stuff reasonably neatly ? I've cut other acrylics before and always found them to be a nightmare at clogging any cutting tools. I was thinking maybe something like a Dremel with a general purpose cutting wheel ? They market this material as 'shatterproof', so that's good when it comes to cutting it, right ... ? I wonder if that also means that it would score and snap ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Expect it to scratch badly in use.

Reply to
usenet2012

Needs something sharp - I once cut 8' along a sheet of polypropylene with a bluntish jigsaw and found that I still had a single sheet but with a ridge along each side! A wheel would do it if the teeth are really sharp. Could be interesting holding a small pieces without scratching them.

Reply to
PeterC

Main problem in use is that the surface is soft and scratches easily so you will forever be repolishing it.

To cut it clamp between two pieces of wood faced with paper to support it and make the cutting strokes slow and towards the silvered face. If you work it hard the material will melt and clog the saw. It melts very easily.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I bought some the other week to use as a reflector to replace the corroded piece of metal in my car's number plate illuminaire.

As said, scratches quite easily. Gives a reflection very nearly as good as glass.

I had to cut a couple of small rectangles so clamped it to a piece of wood and fed it through my lathe, set up as a table saw. It uses a 2" dia cutting saw and was probably running at 800rpm (top speed!) It produced a really nice finish. I mention this as whenever I've tried similar material with my Dremelesque it ends up running at a far higher speed and melts the swarf into the piece which is then a pain to get rid of.

So I reckon way to do it (for odd shapes) is to clamp the stuff down with a guide piece and use a fine bladed hacksaw.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Sounds to me as if you need a fretsaw. They aren't expensive.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Last thing you want when cutting acrylic is something which generates heat as it melts easily. A fine tooth hand wood saw is fine. Finish with a metal file. You can polish the edge with fine sandpaper followed by metal polish like brasso.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's exactly what you want - a laser cutter. It's controling where the heat goes that is key :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Right. I'll look out for one on special offer at Lidl.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like Arfa - now you come to mention it......

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Yes they scratch, so be careful with the cleaning. You can polish out small scratches I think. Weird stuff that attracts muck like mad.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff