Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric cars .. Not all as Green as was reckoned;(..
The team looked at the life-cycle impact of conventional and electric vehicles. In essence, they considered how the production, the use and the end-of- life dismantling of a car affects the...
50
50

under Steel I-Beams?
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams? They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room. Some are resting on brick, some on steel, some on oak, some on concrete padstones. I'd...
17
17

Computer Projector interference
I know this is probably not the best group, but there are so many clever people here!! At Church we have a projector run over a 20m long, reasonable quality VGA cable strung across the roof trusses....
21
21

Making a DIY safe
Actually more a fireproof box but will be quite interested in making it as secure as I can. It is mainly for a small amount of cash and say passports and just a few household documents. I am trying to...
39
39

Deflection/strength puzzle
Hi I need to calculate the strength limit of 2 sticks of 2x2 timber with 2" spacers glued between them every so often, compared to a stick of 2x4" wood. But I'm not sure how to do it. According to...
15
15

Startup coss of CFLs
I was comparing costs and percieved brightness of golfball type CFLs and LEDs the other day and the nice young lady in the shop warned me that a CFL cost 2p every time you switch it on. Assumming...
23
23

Mr Ratty
I'm sure I found a trap, earlier in the year, when we suddenly had a squirrel appear, which could kill rats or squirrels. It went in and *zap* down came the sprung bar and curtains. But now I'm having...
3
3

Magnetic filters for CH - any good?
About to replace our 12-year-old E-rated boiler, including power flushing the system, which will feed 11 radiators. Is it worthwhile installing a magnetic filter, and if so which ones are best? I see...
7
7

Wired doorbells
Just curious, why do most wired doorbells need a transformer, with the asso= ciated hassle of wiring from a mains source to the tranformer and then to t= he bell, when they could just as easily use a...
43
43

Quick query - fan speed controllers
Sparky has asked how low the fans will go on a speed controller - really checking that they can go significantly lower than the slower of the two speed options. Using the S&P TD250. This impacts on...
6
6

Bell wire rating
Can I use 'bell wire' for a room thermostat for the combi boiler, or is it under-rated for that job? -- Mark BR
36
36

Unshiftable loo stains
Two areas of darkened encrustation below the waterline, which refuse to yield to bleach and similar domestic cleaners and which even direct scrubbing cannot shift. Any suggestions? Perhaps draining...
46
46

Thermodynamics and MHI
I have solar panels and get the FIT. A good little earner so far. Solar panel company has sent me info promoting thermodynamics, it will produce all my hot water and comes with MHI which is comparable...
35
35

OT Trying to save pictures sent in a word type document
Hi all, I have been sent some Photos that seem to be imbedded in a document like word, I can right click on them and copy but not put them into Photoshop only a word document. I need them as jpeg...
16
16

OT Is there a worse delivery company than UKMail?
Lies "we arrived at 19:19 and left a card because your were not in", "We could not find your address" (mutually exclusive, shurely shome mishtake?), "we'll deliver it tomorrow", "it's out for...
23
23