Stair Handrail height

After 20 yrs+ I'm finally getting round to putting a handrail up the stairs for the extension bedroom.

Research shows that the authorities think this should be a 'minimum of

900mm from the stair pitch line' - that is the nose of the steps. Try as I might I cannot see that 900mm is going to be comfortable on a stair that was built to the top end of the regulation angle - the other half is out today so I will see what she estimates is comfortable when she gets back, but what will I be offending if I drop it by at least 50mm ?

There is the other factor that the solid barrier along the top of the stairwell is a very bare 900 mm high so I would have to stop the handrail short anyway and that I do consider less acceptable.

Thanks for any comments Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Is that 900mm vertically from the nosing or 900mm perpendicular it the line of the stairs? That would be quite a bit lower.

Reply to
Andrew May

900 - 1000mm vertically from the pitch line...

(having said that, if you don't have a building regs compliant body, then go for what works for you - its unlikely to be that different, and no one is going to complain)

Reply to
John Rumm

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

" if you don't have a building regs compliant body," - my body certainly doesn't comply with any building regs now !

"900 - 1000mm vertically from the pitch line..." -- my reading of the regulations picture was that was the line running down the noses.

It certainly feels as if a steeper stair needs a lower handrail, but then perhaps I'm approaching the status of BM's Dad !

I'm not in the least concerned about the local authority - I would have thought they should have chased the builder to install one when they signed the extension off, but maybe 23 years ago they weren't too concerned. But would an insurance company get stroppy if a visitor fell down the stair and the handrail wasn't absolutely to the law?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Doesn't pay to rush things...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just put it wherever suits you and claim that that's where the builder put it 23 years ago if anyone complains!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW