Repairing PVC pond liner

My parents have this pond in their back garden which appears to be lined with PVC liner.

Trouble is there's a couple of nasty tears right near the top, just under where the flag stones are (or were should I say, as I've taken them up).

I have some spare bits of liner, is it possible to glue patches over the tears?

If so, what glue should I use?

I guess with them being so close to the top it doesn't matter too much if they are 100% water tight, but obviously I'd like to try and make a decent job of it.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Simon T

You can buy repair kits for them probably at garden centres.

Reply to
ss

pvc puncture kits are stock items for campers and caravanners

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Simon T writes

I've used contact adhesive in the past - no leaks at the moment

Reply to
geoff

However if its quite old it may well be just on the point of going brittle and falling to bits and if you are gluing, then you do have to clean the surfaces very well to stand any chance of it lasting a year. I have seen too mamy bodged up liners in the past. thank goodness I have no pond of my own!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are several sorts of liner. The cheapie is PVC, butyl rubber is more expensive and lasts longer. I have fixed butyl in the past but always failed with PVC which only has a life of nine or ten years before the UV gets it. They always go at water level where exposed to daylight. Pond shops have repair (expensive) kits.

You may need a new liner. If so, just leave the old one in position & get a butyl one, lasts much longer but they are very heavy.

Reply to
harry

"Simon T" wrote: [snip]

If it is PVC, why not be radical and use the appropriate glue which is PVC solvent weld?

A solvent weld adhesive will make a repair as strong as the original - provided you prepare the material properly before glueing it. Remove all dust, dirt and grease.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Simon T writes

Try Plumbers Gold sealant and adhesive:

Very sticky (wear gloves).

If the edges of the tear are aligned then it may work on its own but an overlapping patch on top (or under) will make sure. Can be used on wet surfaces, highly recommended (no affiliation etc)

Reply to
fred

If you've taken up the flagstones, and before you re-lay them, consider putting down a 'sacrificial' strip of liner all around the pond over the existing repaired liner, extending down into the water, to protect the existing liner from the sun and to lengthen its life. If you haven't got enough spare bits of liner, you can use a double layer of fine mesh 'knitted' green garden netting, such as

but it's available at most garden centres. Looks attractive, as well as providing an anchorage for algae, moss and some water plants, so that the edge looks more natural.

Reply to
Chris Hogg