Subject Author Posted Replies

OT I am the luckiest bloke in the world
My last 3 trips to London. I have to leave home at 3.30am and for journeys like this I listen to Radio 2 and switch on the radio TA. For the last 3 trips to London Vanessa Feltz failed to arrive for...
65
65

Metric screw thread measurements?
I had a screw that I wished to replace with a longer one, so I measured the diameter and ended up with a replacement too thin. My rough measurement of the original screw was 3.5mm, so I ordered an...
42
42

Water supply to sink
I am thinking of fitting a hard water mains supply to a drinking tap over a= sink in the kitchen. We have a water softener and the hard water tap is cu= rrently in the utility room. We are having the...
1
1

LED lamps
The shops seem to be full of LED lamps, all of a sudden. They don't seem to be very bright though. There still doesn't seem to be anything that's a drop-in substitute for an old 100W or 120W...
50
50

[ot] cleaning cds and dvds
Hi, I wondered what the group recommends for cleaning children's sticky fingerprints off DVDs and CDs? Is something like this ideal: 'm thinking it needs to be lint free to avoid scratching the disc?...
10
10

lengthening a bathtap stem?
Hello, I'm getting someone to change the taps on a cast iron 1930s bath, from a mixer set with shower facility monstrosity to just a simple pair of bib taps, which I think is the term for taps with a...
10
10

footpump replacement hose - fitting
J have a decent quality (but old) footpump on which the hose has had it. The ones I see out there are eg have m8 threads to connect to the pump. But my pump has a brass fitting to accept the rubber...
3
3

Another Driveway Q
Hi all Following the post driveway woes, I was wondering whether there is an optimum time of year for laying the usual blocks. I'm thinking from a weather and state of ground perspective - the...
4
4

What ? Where ?
Quote " That spirit of intellectual playfulness established Molyneux as one= of the most innovative game designers in the world. He helped turn his hom= e of Guildford=97a Saxon-era shire of...
1
1

Seeking masks/inserts for electric socket boxes while plastering
I've got some plastering being done soon (long since given up trying to diy that particular task, along with carpet laying!). The plasterer will of course, as is traditional, attempt to plaster all...
6
6

underventilated suspended ground floor - can using superquilt (or similar) be a solution?
I did insulated a suspended ground floor in the past with very poor results= - the crawled space was under ventilated and the rockwool blanket installe= d between the joists used to get soggy under...
13
13

gap under doors for new carpet
Hi I'm having a new carpet fitted in a bedroom, unfortunately I have 3 hinged wardrobe doors and 1 main door in the room and wondered what clearance there should be between the bottom of the door and...
12
12

Soundproofing
Hi, has anyone had any dealings with or know someone who has of "tom smith soundproofing" ( they claim marvellous things! - can this true? Thanks
14
14

Anyone recommend a phosphate doser for a domestic C/H system?
Hi all, I want to install a phosphate doser into my new central heating system (to reduce combi-boiler maintenance costs). Can anyone recommend one that is inexpensive, and which will probably be...
11
11

suspended ceilings
Does anyone have any experience of installing a suspended ceiling? My front hall needs a new ceiling but there's so much stuff above there I'm reluctant to fit a solid ceiling. Bill
10
10