What is Hot boxing?

I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this are just annoying.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

SFAIK, it involves smoking pot in a small enclosed space, to increase the hit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

O.K. :-)

Pugilism involving scantily clad females?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

It refers to the insulated "box" the asphalt (on a truck) is stored in to prevent it cooling prior to use. They use it when there is lots of small jobs.

Reply to
harry

There is no actual reference to this on the internet that I could find - road works that is. As you say, erotic fights or smoking dope in a car are the two common uses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bit more on the topic here.

BOX FOR KEEPING FRESH MATERIAL AT REQUIRED TEMPERATURE

Reply to
harry

I think I prefer the other two definitions.

Fundamentally a Bodge it and Scarper approach to road mending potholes, one step down from the tar and feather car paint chipping methodology.

I love the way they leave damage in the road to mature over winter to a statutory size for fixing and then attempt to do it in torrential rain with the holes full of water. Guess what? They are back the following year with even more faults to be fixed. And so ad infinitum...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Erm, I must admit that was my first thought as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Where do you find this one then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And this needs a name? Blimey.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought it might refer to the propane heated burners that heat and dry the pothole to prepare for filling.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:kmi8kq$egv$1@dont- email.me:

Ah - Google is my friend:

DerbyBorn

It is about time that the brains of the industry got together and came up with a proper effective and repeatable repair process for this common problem. We have good technology used in tunnelling, laying railways, etc - but filling a pothole seems to still mainly be a manual and innefective job. Surfacing a road costs a fortune - so we should protect the investement by responding better to problems.

The deterioration around man-holes after snow is something that needs a solution as well.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

So to sum up, it's fair to say that there is a concept of a Hot Box in road repair

and "Hot Boxing" is being used in a frivolous way, in much the same manor as a lawyer might say he has been "soliciting", or you might go "cottaging" to your holiday home.

Does thatt sound plausable?

Reply to
Graham.

On previous house ... Rd outside had potholes, complained and was told they were using Jet Pack Hot patching ......... This was a metal hood that house propane jets ... heated up road 'hole' then they rolled in patch material and rolled over it while hot ......... they advised this had much more longevity than standard cold patch. Maybe it's this under another name.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Even after the hole is reported you mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You would have thought the operatives would have had the propane cylinders strapped to their backs like Buzz Lightyear.

Reply to
Graham.

Glad I was not the only one to have that mental image ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's the official terminology for the equipment used by O'Malley and Sons and Friends and Dis Is Me Nephew Declan, He's Me Sister's Kid Over From Galway On Holiday. It's a technology that ensures that the repair to the pavement or road is an entirely different colour and texture to the rest of the surface, and allows the hole to be filled to either two inches higher or lower than the level of the surroundings, preferably left proud on pavements and sunken on roads. It also has a built-in safety device which means it cracks and falls apart approximately 4 days after installation once O'Malley has changed his name and repainted his fleet of illegal vehicles.

It's quite a lengthy process, it normally takes three weeks between digging out the hole, and filling it back in. Fortunately the skilled craftsmen fill the time with haphazardly parking 7 trucks, 9 vans and 43 trailers at busy junctions, traipsing mud all over the floor of Greggs or disposing of their waste at a convenient church car park or hedgerow.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Ah nice to see free enterprise and competitive tendering driving the economy then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff