Questions About Back-To-Back Clamps

I picked up a couple of 36" Back-To-Back clamps at a garage sale yesterday. I used one as a basic saw guide and it worked great.

The seller is/was selling all of these:

Single sided includes 2 -- 24"; 1 -- 36" and 1 -- 50". Double sided includes 2 -- 18"; 2 -- 36" (mine now) and 2 -- 50" clamps

Asking prices start at $30 for the 50" Back-To-Back down to $13 for the 24" single side. I know he will come down in price: He wanted $36 for the pair I bought, I paid $30. Those are decent prices, right?

I understand the differences between the Back-To-Back vs. the single side, but here is what I am curious about:

Are these clamps strictly for use as straight edges or can they be use for glue ups, such as for panels or cabinet doors?

Is there anything else I should think about before dropping some more money on the clamps?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have the long and short versions of the brand on the left side of the picture. I have not used them much lately but used the a heck of a lot back in the early 90's when I remodeled our kitchen.

They were very useful for guiding my saws, aligning my plate joiner for cutting biscuit slots, and minor clamping.

These clamps may or may not allow clamping at angles, Mine were not self squaring or designed to clamp at much of an angle if using as a tool guide.

Also the clamping lever is pretty short and can be a bear to flip into the closed position if cinched up too tightly.

If these are new his asking price is less than what I paid 25+ years ago. IIRC the brand on the left, same as mine, have a life time warranty.

Having all this in mind, another popular brand seems to be more useful as it offers attachments for cutting dado's with a router which seems very well thought out. If I were to add to my collection it would be the Bora brand.

The Bora has a longer clamping lever, can be lengthened with extensions, and I think they have a router guide plate that lets you tweak dados to fit stock exactly.

Leon

Thanks for the response.

Any thoughts on my question about using them for glue ups or is that what you meant by "minor clamping"? Say T&G joints on a simple Shaker style door?

Could clamps be used top and bottom to keep the door flat and apply enough pressure for gluing?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not the style clamp I would personally grab for a glue up of any type.

They were OK for edge guides/setup tasks back in the day, but not all that versatile for much else, including glue-ups. IME, I think you will find these lacking for that purpose.

Basically, I do have a few of various lengths, rarely used.I personally wouldn't stock up on them, but it always nice to have a couple of odd clamps in the arsenal.

Reply to
Swingman

They aren't for clamping glue ups. Not IMO at least.

I have a couple of 50" ones I use occasionaly but when I do I butt a piece of wood to the outboard edge of the clamp and clamp the wood to the work. Why? Because my experience is that the clamps will deflect if much lateral pressure is applied.

Reply to
dadiOH

I really would not use them to close glued up panels. Mine do not grab the full width of a 3/4" piece of stock. since you cannot really apply a lot of pressure they may not even squeeze hard enough to close a slight gap.

IMHO these are best used as a guide more than anything else.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to all.

I'll stick with the pair of 36"ers and leave it at that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a few of similar clamps, in different lengths, but I don't think they're very useful as clamps. They're kinda a PITA to use and I've had them slip in the middle of a cut. I haven't used them since I bought the track saw (only used them as guides).

Reply to
krw