employing the golden mean

also known as the golden ratio the golden portion and many others

when making some small tables i decided to use this ratio for the surface area

it is pleasing to the eye

do you ever employ this technique in your work

where or what have you used it on

the next book case i make i plan to do this for the height and width dimensions

speaking of heights and widths i saw an good old joke from steven wright

some people are afraid of heights not me i am afraid of widths

Reply to
Electric Comet

It is? Apparently, my eye is askew.

I've not used it. In fact, never even heard of it until about 2 wks ago, when my buddy (pro carpenter) came over and happened to mention it.

Lotta "if's", "maybe's", "claims", and "said to be's". Looks more like one of those "Paul is dead" guess-a-thons. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

There is something to it, even in nature

No rule says you have to follow it, but generally it is pleasing to the eye. There are some basic design rules that are used for appearance, but break the rules properly and you can still have something of beauty. Its all in how out brain works and how we perceive things.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No wonder I'm always wrong. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

the ratio is found all over in nature or the work of god or whatever you like

Reply to
Electric Comet

If you actually do wood working does anything ever fit together properly given that your decimal point is missing?

Reply to
OFWW

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He's fine if he uses fractions, but the slash is also missing.

I guess he could always express everything in 32's of an inch... Like a standard 64 by 128 by 3072. (Nominal, of course.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper