my first teeny golden crocus

today I found my first teeny golden crocus bud in one of my containers outside. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it was the first crocus I've seen that has sent out a bud. Now I'm expecting to see what Old Man Winter slings towards us as our mild winter advisory has been updated to a Winter storm warning with expectations of 1/4 inch of ice as well as accumulations of snow afterwards after midnight tonight. We'll see. me? I want a foot of snow, but then, that's just because we haven't HAD any snow here yet...............I'm sure there are plenty of you who are by now tired of it and it's just the end of January. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

During the recent unseasonable heatwave (10 days back? I've been ill and can't really say for sure) LOML pointed out to me that I had crocuses blooming under the Mahonia beside the front walk. Like you say, nothing to brag about but they were doing their best. More worrisome are all the other bulbs that got fooled into coming up WAY too early for their own good. Then there are the ones that were discovered by the squirrels...

Reply to
John McGaw

madgardener wrote: ' today I found my first teeny golden crocus bud in one of my containers outside. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it was the first crocus I've seen that has sent out a bud. Now I'm expecting to see what Old Man Winter slings towards us as our mild winter advisory has been updated to a Winter storm warning with expectations of 1/4 inch of ice as well as accumulations of snow afterwards after midnight tonight. We'll see. me? I want a foot of snow, but then, that's just because we haven't HAD any snow here yet...............I'm sure there are plenty of you who are by now tired of it and it's just the end of January.'

madgardener

" During the recent unseasonable heatwave (10 days back? I've been ill and can't really say for sure) LOML pointed out to me that I had crocuses blooming under the Mahonia beside the front walk. Like you say, nothing to brag about but they were doing their best. More worrisome are all the other bulbs that got fooled into coming up WAY too early for their own good. Then there are the ones that were discovered by the squirrels..."

yes, it was ten days or so back, but since then we've had frigid temperatures in the teens and single digits with wind chills of below zero. You must have really been ill.........hope you're on the mend now.

The ice we were expecting slipped in over here in Dandridge, coating everything. Now it's a tropical temperature of 37o at 2 p.m. and we're expecting a low just below freezing. I work the evening close shift tonight at Lowes, so I'm gonna have fun going home this evening at 10. I think I'll go out of my way and loop around thru Jefferson City to avoid those icy patches I know will be on the only road home down Valley Home Road (Hwy 66).

My Cornelia cherry is trying reeeeally hard to break bud with teasers of sulphur yellow peeking out from rosy calixes that look like little balls all over the whole tree. And the Hellebore's are plumping up buds under the old leaves and newer ones.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Dandridge, TN zone 7, sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener