Nighthawk CO detector/alaram

Anyone knows the difference between the following?

?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0170246150.1067813577@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadcjkkjimdlcgelceffdfgidgmn.0&MID=9876 The first costs $45. The latter costs $60. Any idea what could justify the 33% price difference?

Thx, Sam

Reply to
Silence Seeker

Only the Sears search came up for me, I have that nighthawk , It is a good unit

Reply to
mark Ransley

The second one that Homedepot carries also detects explosive gases where the one from sears only does CO.

Reply to
PAUL100

Well, they don't look the same. Mine looks like the Sears model, sounds like the description but also shows the maximum level as described in the HD ad. However I bought mine at Costco but packaged with an included smoke alarm for $34 last year (Walmart had the same model CO meter for about $42). I wouldn't buy the higher priced one.

I wouldn't have bought this >

George E. Cawthon

I noticed one winter day some years ago before CO detectors were common, much less required, that the basement of our house seemed quite humid and damp, so I looked all over it to see if I could find any water leaking or pooling, broken pipes, etc. But no luck.

A few weeks later, after I had stopped thinking about humidity in the basement and during a particularly cold spell, the windows on the first floor steamed up and frost formed on some of them, despite storm windows. This had never happened before. I turned down our humidifier, but the steam on the windows persisted. Soon the weather warmed up a little and the moisture went away. This continued on and off for much of the winter. Every time I would start to think about what might be wrong, the weather would get warmer and the moisture problem would stop.

One morning the furnace didn't come on. We have hot water heat with a gas-fired boiler. I brushed off the gas jets, twirled the impellor -- just fiddled with it really. It came back on and ran properly all day and into the night. Next morning it was off again. Again I fiddled with it cluelessly and again it came on. This pattern repeated itself every few days for a week or two, until I tired of the fiddling and called a repairman. He came and checked out the system, and replaced one of the electrical controls. He adjusted the automatic damper to make sure it wasn't hanging up on the flue pipe that goes into the chimney. Afterwards the furnace ran well for a week or so, then again didn't come on.

I called up the repair place and they sent out another person -- a different guy. He came while I was at work. My wife called me and reported that he removed the vent pipe and looked into the chimney to discover that large pieces of the chimney liner had broken off and fallen down the chimney, partly blocking the flue.

That's when I suddenly realized that the water vapor I'd been noticing was the product of partly burned gases backing up into the house, and that the mild headaches I had been experiencing, and the difficulty waking up in the mornings all winter, and the reason the cats were oddly torpid and sluggish all the time could only be carbon monoxide.

The backup was not quite enough to trigger the safety shutoff on the boiler, except on a few random mornings. Because the furnace is in the basement and I am generally on the second floor of the house, I rarely heard the furnace coming on or shutting off. And in any event, because it is on a thermostat, there was no reason to listen to it, or even to pay much attention to it. And what would that have told me anyway? Mostly it came on when it was supposed to come on. When it didn't come on, I was asleep. But every time it came on, and vented into the chimney, it was also backing up into the house. If the safety device had not shut down the boiler, we might never have discovered the problem.

It was relatively easy for the repair crew to fix it, although not exactly cheap. I also had to call a chimney service company to replace the missing liner -- about a wheelbarrow full of debris was in the bottom of the chimney. We apparently suffered no brain damage, although as I get older, some days that is hard to tell.

I feel that the only reason my wife and I didn't die from this experience is that the house is so old (it's 82 years old) and drafty that enough fresh air seeps in to keep you alive no matter what. And that safety mechanism on the boiler that measures the backdraft.

All in all, I figure that we had a very narrow escape.

And that's why I now have a CO detector.

Tom Miller

Well George you dont piss me off its your life. It just shows how little you know, probably about most things to. So you can "HEAR" a cracked exchanger, a blocked chimney or leaking flu pipe , Bullshit you can. In just Chgo apx 10 people die a year from Co, thats why in Chgo, All apt bldgs by law must have them . Animals get in chimneys and die, chimneys deteriorate, debris fall and block flue and chimneys . Flue pieces loosen and separate. Furnaces exchangers crack. Alot of people have leaks but are ignorant like you and to stupid to get Co detectors.

Reply to
mark Ransley

George your banana peel taxi scenario gives Co poisioning a Zero chance in you book , if you look.. Truth is 160 people die every year from Co from water heaters and furnaces , and Thousands more are made ill.

Reply to
mark Ransley

One day, without any indication, my gas oven decided to produce CO. Thank heavens for the CO detector. Any appliance that tries to kill me gets shown the door.

jmagerl

George E. Cawthon

Well not quite, some guy might be driving a New York taxi in Salt Lake City. OTOH, my understanding is that most people killed by CO from using charcoal braziers inside an enclosed building and other stupidities. Truth is, that if the chance of being killed by CO is 160/200,000,000, that is much too worry about, since it is much smaller than the chance of being killed in an auto accident, or by just about any other source including, drowning, shootings, falls in the bathroom, etc. Actually, the chance of dying by all types of accidents is pretty low. Most of us will die of heart disease.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well I was a little narrow by saying hearing. Not only should you use your hearing but your other senses to detect if something is wrong with not only your gas appliances but your electricity, water, sewer etc.

OTOH, your deductive power of my knowledge from a simple statement rates an "F" and you apparently can't read, since I wrote that I have a CO detector. Based on the statistic of 160 deaths per year the chance of dying from CO is less than 1 in a 1,000,000 per year. I imagine that are exposed to all sorts of stuff without thinking about it that results in a much higher chance of death. Even though the death rate from car accidents is over 35,000 per year (200 times greater than dying from CO), do you limit the number of miles you drive. Do you smoke? Drink alcohol? Eat too much? Sleep too little? Swim? Ride a bicycle? and just about anything else that can kill you? If you answer yes to any of these then buying a CO detector is unlikely to prolong your life.

No, it isn't that I don't know a lot, it's that you know nothing about risks or risk assessment.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The real point is people die and thousands get sick , needlessly, all for a 50 dollar alarm .

Reply to
mark Ransley

I think if you were to read my tale a little more carefully you would see that I did what any ordinary person would have done, and perhaps more. I looked for possible causes, but with no reason to connect the symptoms to a hidden furnace problem, or CO, or unburned hydrocarbons, I wrote them off to other reasons. And none of the problems were quite bad enough to be that alarming. I was sometimes sluggish, but who isn't? The cats sleep a lot anyway and are getting older. I had some uncharacteristic headaches but only from time to time -- could be anything. I had trouble waking up sometimes, but doesn't everyone?

Furthermore, the furnace repairman, who is supposed to be trained to diagnose these problems, was as clueless as I was as to the cause. Only when all other possibilities were eliminated did the furnace people check the chimney.

Seems like you just want to ignore the fact that CO is generally an insidious problem that even us smart guys can't always figure out.

Tom Miller

Lets get the facts straight before you discourage good people into numbness, and endanger anyones health. OK.

Co. last year killed 160 people in their sleep and sickend thousands. Key word here is IN THEIR SLEEP , No warning............

Lightning killed 73

Co KILLS more people each year on a 40 yr avg. than Hurricane , Flood , Tornado , and Lightning....... It is the highest killer per year that can be avoided by a SIMPLE Co detector

You say I know nothing about risks , or Risk assesment. Well BOZO, Facts prove you an incompetant boaster. The last guy id let look at my taxes.

If a Lightning detector was made , portable , reliable, it would be a lifesaver, and a best seller. But with this new feature of NG detection a Co NG detector , which could save HUNDREDS of lives a year . For you to insult it shows you George have an 83 IQ Quotent or less.............Wake up cawthon

Reply to
mark Ransley

Speaking of CO Detectors...is there any way to do an "actual test" to see if one is performing correctly? With a smoke detector, you can light a match, blow it out and the alarm will go off. The test button proves only that there is an alarm.

Thanks. no spam--remove last 3 letters in address to respond

Reply to
DSegal1027

Gee...you just described a home full of mold, owned by a person allergic to it.. Or a cracked HE..

CBHvac

Yes and no , smoke has Co , blown in it , it should register digitaly , Old units no . Mine do ,, But the New Ng Co are the way to go, they will save lives

Reply to
mark Ransley

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I beleive they have a Life Span ...in the warranty, Follow it....

Reply to
mark Ransley