Tankles Water Heater

That link pulled up generators. I have a Bosch 117000 btu battery ignition. It is great and has a 4 yr payback over electric tank for me. If you run the water to slowly it may not come on but other than that it is fine. For several uses or a family look at a 180000 btu unit, look at Rinnai, and Takagi with remote thermostats. You need alot of gas and may need to resize the gas line inside, plan it out before you buy.

Reply to
m Ransley

Does anyone know if the tankless water heaters are any good? Any drawbacks. I have natural gas supply in the house from the street.

Thanks

Here is an example:

BN

Energy saving depend on use, for a single family or infrequent use it will be greatest , perhaps 25%, for a family maybe 15%. There are units by Takagi and Rinnai that have much higher efficiencies than regular tanks, cost is high but gas is also up so payback and savings are much greater now. I replaced a highly insulated electric tank and verifyibly have a 4 yr payback on a 700$-US unit, Chgo area rates, im very happy. Also no sediment builds up so efficiency does not go down as gas tanks do. Apx 1/3 of your gas bill can be HW, tanlkess do make a large impact. and are largely missunderstood and overlooked.

Reply to
m Ransley

JM You state, "the jury is not stll out". You may not be convinced, but myself and 99% of others I have read see the savings. As an example my summer gas bill is 5-6 therm now with cooking all food on gas and 1-2 loads in a gas dryer each week . Yes I transfered from electric tank, but my electric bill dropped 30$ a month with a 5 yr old Rheem with foam insulation and fiberglass blanket . The electric was set to its lowest setting, apx 105f, if it was set 20-30f higher as many do my verified savings would have been much greater. I save apx 200 a year as I figure it, at that savings I can afford a repair when it occurs.

Without a tank to rot out in 10-15 years, or build sediment and reduce efficiency the tankless life of 20-30 years becomes an even more atractive option . I just pulled out an 18 year old tank at a different location on Chicago water it had apx 12" -14" of rock hard sediment in it, that heater was probably running at 50% efficiency, where that won`t happen on tankless, how much efficiency robbing sediment is in your tank?

Reply to
m Ransley

The jury is still out. They are more complex and not many local techs have much experience with them in the US. Not many users have experience with them. On the other hand they are a mature product having been the norm in many parts of the world, take up less space and have less idle losses than a standard tank type does. For now I think I will stick with the tank type, but I could be talked into one if the price was right. I would not count on the big energy savings some suggest. You are likely to get some energy savings, but that would depend on your usage profile.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They must suck since most of Europe and EastAsia use them, and you know how backward those people are. I have one hanging off the exterior wall of my house and aside from providing steady instant hot water it is of no use. I often wonder how i will fare in the event of the Apocalypse without 50 gallons of hotwater stored in my basement. Fortunately I have many pet bottles filled with water surrounding my garden to keep cats from peeing on the flowers.

Reply to
tm

Ahhh mr. Meehan. why do you insist on giving answers to things you know nothing about? I have worked on quite a few of these and they are not that much more complex. they are noisy though as they need a power vent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

heh. Irony.

You must be talking about tankles water heaters, something i have no experience with. Tankles water heaters apparently need something called a power vent. Perhaps having something to do with the atmospheric pressure on alternate planets? Just a quick not to the OP, I did notice, one time when i took a bunch of drugs, that the whoosh of the gas burner on my tankless water heater was louder than the whoosh on a tanked water heater. Different colours to the sound too. Suprisingly, the next day there was no evident difference in sound or colour. Go figure.

Reply to
tm

What's your opinion of the Vinotemp 850 Bottle Wine Cellar prominantly displayed on that link page? I'm thinking 8 grand is rather high for only 850 bottles. Hell, for way less than 8 Gs I could dig a hole in the ground, make a trapdoor from a velvet elvis painting, and it wouldn't look nearly as poncy.

Reply to
tm