Subject Author Posted Replies

Re-using Rosemary tiles
Hi all, How can you tell if old rosemarys are reusable? Is there some sort of test you can carry out to determine if they've lost their water repellent quality and become porous? Also is there any...
9
9

Dubious lighting circuit
The day before yesterday our stairhead light stopped working. So yesterday I changed the bulb. Still didn't work. Got my multimeter out and tested the terminals on the fitting. Stone dead. Took the...
7
7

New Roof in Stages
Hi all, It occurs to me replacing the roof might be a nifty project for the summer months, but there's only me on my jack going to be doing the work, and I wi ll need to disappear off on other...
18
18

Price check please.
Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job. Currently it is a bare shell, a single pipe of cold water coming into the house. To be supplied and fitted: a very basic kitchen, comprising sink, 2...
25
25

OT Some women really have no idea
She was supposed to wear the Kate Bush "Babooshka" outfit. And what did she wear? A Princess Leia outfit. There is a difference.
13
13

2 way dimmer switch
I want to replace a 1 gang 2 way switch with a dimmer switch. The old wiring is 2 cables each with 1 red and 1 black wire plus earths. The red and black wires from one cable go into two holes marked...
15
15

Telemetric meters
I hope that is the correct term? What I want is an electricity and gas meter that automatically report their readings direct to the utility supplier. The alternative is to move the meters outside,...
61
61

Bog recommendations?
The new downstairs cloakroom is coming along (though slowly at the moment, what with weather, work, etc), so the time to choose the procelain is drawing close. Last year, I bought a new bog for...
16
16

OT: Favourite OT Subject - (US) 6 underground nuclear tanks leaking
"Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said the leaking material poses no immediate risk to public safety or the environment because it would take a while ? perhaps years ? to reach groundwater." Phew! So that's...
100
100

Rod Speed
Re. the recent thread about Rod Speed, the vast majority of his drivel is in fact ignored, this is but one example: bayimg - image: speed_twat.jpg - free uncensored image hosting
1
1

OT - cold car fixed
So SWMBO was complaining that the car wasn't getting warm quickly enough (not the engine but the cabin). Of course, her answer was to increase the setting on the climate control as, in common with...
50
50

A use for all those beer cans...
YouTube Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water pipes, this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen. My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in...
24
24

Double glazing
The house has double glazing in wooden frames. Over the years we have had a couple of misted up units replaced by a friendly family of joiners, plumbers and general do-anythingers. Sadly they have now...
11
11

Electricity meter change
Just had a letter from EoN saying they need to change my electricity meter (which, granted, is probably over 50 years old).[1] Given that the Big Boys who run our entire society these days are often...
36
36

Saniflo
We have a plan. At the front of our house is a tiny room, it could fit a bed in but we want to convert it to a shower room and toilet. Problem is all the services, water and drainage, are at the back...
29
29