GU10 lampholders - getting paint orf

Following up to my previous post about the wisdom (or lack thereof) of putting GU10 lamps in the dishwasher (now on a rad to dry out)

What's the easiest way of getting the paint off these fittings? If it were just a couple, I'd replace them, but I have eight, and their location (in a corner) is awkward, it means I can't stick in any old replacement.

The paint is emulsion. There were two layers - one peeled off ok (presumably vinyl silk or similar) but the remaining stuff is more stubborn.

Soak in white spirit?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Are you certain of that - after it's fully dried out?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My recollection is certainly that emulsion resisted soap and detergents wel l enough to allow occasional cleaning, although prolonged soaking did have some effect - where the soap dispenser at work dripped onto an emulsioned p ipe the paint didn't last well... On the other hand I remember at least one solvent I tried dissolved dried e mulsion quite well; I just can't remember whether it was IPA or Acetone. Yo ur problem may be that solvents which dissolve the emulsion may also attack the lampholder - I can't work out from the picture what material it is.

Reply to
docholliday93

Methylated spirits is usually pretty good and doesn't attack too much else. May need a bit of rubbing though, or soaking.

Reply to
Andrew May

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

The lampholder is ceramic - wouldn't expect plastic with GU10 lamps.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have some IPA, will try that if the soaking in warm water and washing-up liquid approach doesn't work.

These fittings are in an awkward spot formed of the oblique angle of a roof beam, sloping roof and wall, with the wires entering at the corner where all three meet. Successive redecorations have left them covered in paint due to the awkward access and they look awful. I've taken them down to repaint the wealls and ceiling and just want to clean them up and refit for now, then look at replacement at a later date when time and finances permit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Shoot the painter and then I'd try some steam.

Reply to
John

Rub down and paint a uniform colour on them?

Reply to
Fredxx

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

Reporting back.

Soaking in hot water with lots of washing up liquid for a couple of hours, then gentle rubbing with the foam part of a pan scourer, did the trick.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Some of the cheapest I've seen in 'real life' are Ikea; the LED ones are cheaper than other shops as well. The details mean nothing to me, as I don't have any downlighters, so need checking.

Reply to
PeterC

I'm not sure what its called but CPC did some stuff for getting the sticky off labels and tape off of things and that seems to work on emulsion paint on plastic, but of course not knowing what plastic this actually is, I'd be very careful when testing it!

I just wish I could remember what it was called. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

label remover?

Reply to