Subject Author Posted Replies

Overflow for a pond ? ... howto
I have been digging out to build a pond in garden ... it's around 600gall in size. It has filled and overflowed many times in past few months... so before I do the liner & edging need to consider a...
21
21

cheap & dirty way to charge a 12v car battery? charger gone awol....
is there a method of charging a 12v car battery without using a charger? (jump leads won't reach, charger gone awol) Cheers Jim K
17
17

Thermostatic shower - quick sanity check.
Static pressure 3.0 bar. Flow from cold outside tap ~17l/min. Accepted that there will have to be flow restriction on the cold taps in the house to prevent loss of hot water pressure. Just looking at...
1
1

Lets hope it gets warmer soon!
The UK Energy Crisis in 3 simple awareness-raising pictures • The Register
31
31

bitcoin - well sort of diy
Doesn't seem to be a ng for bitcoin - just wondered if, in these challenging times (:-)) anyone here has a "good" weblink they'd care to share? Seems to me that the cost of generating BCoins is now...
5
5

Best Loft Insulation Option - Long Term
Right. We have a house. The loft is partly boarded with degraded rock wool as joist level insulation ranging from 10cm to 2cm in places. It is pouring heat out the roof. Within the next 6 years we...
5
5

De Dietrich Oven
We have had a De Dietrich oven since 2004, and recently it has started to behave a little strangely. The interior light stays on even when the oven is turned off, and the self-cleaning heaters never...
14
14

Anyone tried LED replacements for flourescent tubes?
Has anyone here had experience with using LED replacements for fluorescent tubes? They're becoming affordable (1200mm T8 tubes from about £20) and I was thinking of using LED tubes in a standard dual...
23
23

Expanding foam applicator gun
I?m in the process of insulating a room internally and so thinking of getting a gun for expanding foam. Is it possible to take the can off while there?s foam in the can? ie do the cans have valves,...
7
7

Suggestions For A Wireless Thermostat
Now I know how to wire one up to my system. I wondered if anyone could suggest a decent wireless Thermostat and Receiver pack? Is it worthwhile buying on ebay - or would I get a cheap forgery?
2
2

Quality soldering iron
For a long time I used a Henley Solon soldering iron (25W I think) but that broke after 20 years. What do people reckon is a quality replacement capable of fine soldering on PCBs and so on? Geoff
37
37

How best torejuvenate parquet floor
I ma decorating and with all the furniture removed the parquet flooring is looking tatty. There are a number of shallow scratches as well as a tired look. The floor was sanded and sealed a few years...
5
5

toolsatan INSIDE a wickes?
"Toolstation Taunton opens for business to the trade and public on Monday 25th March. Located inside Wickes Extra on Priory Fields, this latest Sales Counter offers customers ease of access and ample...
11
11

Vaillant pressure reducing valve
On top of a Vantage 150 pressurised hot water tank. I think the cartridge is 149109, and it's dripping quite badly. Are these something we should only expect to last as little as 10 years, or might...
6
6

The building collapse in Sheffield
Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. Bill
46
46