O.T. All my DAB radios have started making a burbling sound

I've got a couple of Pure Bug DAB radios and both of them have completely stopped working. I've got two other DAB radios and they are now making horrible burbling noises which I associate with poor signal.

This is weird considering I've previously had no trouble and I live in a city. I thought it might be some weird weather conditions but it's been going on for ten days.

Anyone else had this problem?

Reply to
Murmansk

I assume you have tried re-tuning? Perhaps there's a new repeater.

Reply to
newshound

DAB radios are pretty hopeless here. I have several and none of them work properly if it is raining and leaves are on the trees. Radio 4 announcers burble like the subterraneans off Stingray. FM is fine.

Yes. Poor signal gives catastrophic degradation in audio quality.

DAB is hopeless technology that even when it works has too low bitrate to give an adequate listening experience. It might sound OK inside a car with a diesel engine where there is enough background noise.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've had it on a couple of occasions before, I have a roof-mounted DAB aerial, the signal strength remained high but the quality was up and down, up and down, I put it down to some sort of transmitter fault, always came back to normal later that day, lost time sync perhaps so causing destructive iterference within the guard interval?

What mux(es) was the OP listening to? if the BBC national mux, then all repeaters are on the same frequency anyway, so retuning won't change anything.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Besides if several radios with their own aerials are all affected then it sounds more like the signal is just weaker than it was. Sounds like an Ask the transmitter folk job to me.

Which transmitter is it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, when it was first up and running and in a good signal area it was very good, but the eternal lessening of bit rates has made it into posh Am sound. Its the phase jitter effects that annoy me along with the grittiness that is. It sounds a at times like a worn out cassette but without the wow and flutter. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1. DAB is OK as an alternative to AM.

With good signal I've not noticed these problems.

Reply to
Mark

Have you recently replaced a nearby light bulb?

I read in the press at the weekend that some (don't remember the details) bulb manufacturer had been fined for selling bulbs that don't conform to our regulations and interfere with/block DAB radio.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

According to Which? magazine a company called LED hut had sold some bulbs like this, IIRC.

Reply to
Mark

In article , Muddymike scribeth thus

Home plug wi-fi does that much better and they are widely sold...

As to the OP complaint check that no transmitters are off air and that indeed a wi-fi plug system isn't on the go next door or around the area...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , tony sayer scribeth thus

Some light on the subject here;!..

Bet these are approved and CE marked and all that crap;(...

tony sayer

I heard some gormless gimp on the Beeb, explaining that DAB was wonderful, was here to stay and could only get better (well, he had the last bit right, at least).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A widespread problem, now. Even worse than all those thousands of fecking Homeplugs.

Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Better?, Nay lad, its only ever gotten worse;!...

Reply to
tony sayer