Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: External hard drive and Windows 8
I installed a new hard drive in my sister's laptop about 6 months ago. Laptop was running Vista Home Premium if I remember correctly but it has now died due to a motherboard problem (graphics). The...
14
14

Mystery car part
Pic: I found this mystery part lodged between the brake master cylinder and servo on a newish Focus. I was thinking it's just a trim clip, but the hole seems important... It looks to be made of...
16
16

Can't open UPVC door
A friend of mine has an old UPVC back door that won?t open. It?s about 15 years old and has the standard style of lever handle with a very narrow plate and a Euro cylinder lock set into it. You can...
2
2

advice on decking
Bought all my boards for decking while Wickes had a 40% discount offer in place .... now time to get on with it. The 'idea' being to end up with : I bought the "Decking construction plans ebook ......

OT: Wiki-noia
New employee has joined IT operations where I work, a youngster that is keen to learn but at the moment "don't know nothing". However, he loves asking me questions on things he comes across - and...
15
15

Wrong attributions
One of my posts* to this newsgroup appeared twice, but in neither case was it attributed to me. In one case it was attributed to "The Medway Handyman" and in the other, to "The Natural Philosopher"....
9
9

S-Trap Toilet Pan Choice
I need to replace a cracked LATOMA toilet bowl. As the house has only one toilet (and two women), I need to effect the repair very quickly. This means I need to find a traditional S-Trap toilet that...
9
9

Any experience of QPL Qual-Fit push-fits from Toolstation?
Has anyone used QPL (aka Qual-Plumb aka Qual-Fit aka PipeLife) pushfit plumbing fittings, as sold by Toolstation? 15mm elbow, for example: I thought they would be OK for temporary use during bathroom...
8
8

LED downlighters - 12V or 240V?
Think I've finally convinced myself that I'm going to swap over from halogen downlighters to LED ones. Forgetting for a moment whether downlighters a fundamentally a good idea or not (for various...
30
30

Hunter roundline gutter clips
Fitting gutter on my garage/workshop. All going well except..... Hunters webpage says the system has easy-to-use thumb clips to hold the gutter in the connecting bracket and to fit the stop end Their...
5
5

Size for wood rails for fence
Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence. Or should I use 3 x 2 inch? Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats. Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart. thanks
4
4

Copper tube - standards and quality
I have no complaints with BES copper tube which is: BS 2871 : Part 1 : Table X (EN 1057 half hard). Kitemarked. However I could do with some soon, and ToolStation have a slight discount. Theirs is: BS...
5
5

Wi-fi controlled central heating
Had a flyer through my door the other day, which actually caught my eye on it's way to the bin - British Gas plugging their new remote heating control system, which they will fit to non-customers at...
43
43

thermometer question
Hi, Whilst having a sort out, I have found a thermometer; the type with the red liquid that expands against a scale to show the temperature. I think I bought it for wine making many years ago but it...
11
11

May the 4th be with you.....
I thought, funny, was it. Yes, hmmm.