OT: christmas nutcrackers

Sister wants some decent nut crackers. Since they need to not pulverise the nut, I think they should be a ratchet or depth stop, etc. I could send her some mole grips or a ratchet cramp, but I don't think that would go down too well. I found a plastic ratchet nut cracker on the internet but the reviews suggest it is too flimsy for the job in hand and the plastic arms bend. So, anyone know where I can get a kitchen-safe nut cracker that works ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I bought one of these and it works well. I have only tried it on walnuts so far as my neighbour has a tree and gives me carrier bags full of them.

Peter Crosland

Do you actually need a nutcracker on 'em? We're munching our way happily through the large pile of walnuts our tree's given us this year - and they just open with a light squeeze on the seam. Delicious, too.

Reply to
Adrian

I have a set like these:

which we are happy with as they don't go too far and break the nut.

Reply to
Andrew May

If you're very bored you can carefully crack open the walnut, remove the yummy bit and then write tiny notes, put them inside the nut and glue it carefully back together and return to a special bowl for guests. Sort of fortune nuts.

Reply to
mogga

Don't think that hasn't already been suggested...

Reply to
Adrian

sm_jamieson grunted in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Well, when I were a lad, we had a ratchet set which looked like these, and they really were the dog's bollocks of nutcrackers, so to speak (AFAIK my ma probably still has them in her drawer):

...however judging by the customer reviews on Amazon this is a cheap'n nasty imitation of the original, whose brandname I really can't remember now.

We don't have nutcrackers at home now, since No. 1 daughter is allergic to nuts, so they aren't allowed in the house. I can tell you, Xmas just isn't the same :(

Reply to
Lobster

+1 Ours is stamped 'Crackerjack Made in England'. Plenty on Ebay
Chris Hogg

Doesn't work so well with Brazil nuts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't you have one of these in the workshop?

Completely controllable and will crack any nut.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Fine until the spring breaks and then they are scrap. Rubbish quality.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Most of the ones on eBay have been working for forty years, and may reasonably be expected to continue doing so for a while longer.

Reply to
News

Best tool I had for opening walnuts was like a steel plectrum, you inserted the pointy end of the plectrum in the blunt end of the walnut and twisted, it came free with a bag of walnuts but I lost it and have never seen any walnuts that come with another one ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

How do you work that out? My brand new one lasted 18 months. As I say rubbish quality.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Angle grinder

Reply to
greyridersalso

They were called crackerjack. You can get a vintage pair from ebay. I found the name on a pair that I have had for sometime.

(Google for crackerjack nutcracker)

Reply to
Michael Chare

Peter Crosland grunted in news:jrOdnfuaTI0gmT snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Yup, that's the one - I rembember the name now.

But are you sure you're talking about genuine 'Crackerjacks'? It's very evident that there are plenty of cheap'n nasty (identical-looking) copies around (eg the Amazon one I linked to above).

Reply to
Lobster

I should have said 'used' ones. Most older ones seem to have been well built, and are probably only used on two days of the year. After Boxing day, they are thrown to the back of a drawer and not touched again for another twelve months.

Reply to
News

The rnib used to do one, but I don't think they do anymore, maybe they had too many squashed body parts.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have serious nut crackers in Australia.

F Murtz