Floods

Anyone here been affected by the floods, or have close family/friends who have been?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The reason storm is a BBC state secret, you have to hear about Mandela.

Reply to
Michael Chare

family/friends

Yet a little bit of wind the other week, near London, was headlines for days. Hum...

About more than half a dozen trees uprooted, split or large branches off on the 30 odd miles between here an Carlisle. One wood have been across the road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My front path was affected by ponding and I had to step carefully when taking the rubbish to the bin.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Floods of news from South Africa. The tide comes in every 15 minutes.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I often thought buying a flood prone building cheaply and "floodising" it would be a good option for a DIY project.

Reply to
harryagain

What other major news was on the go at that time?

Lots of trees down in London too in that storm a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just rebuild it on a floating raft, but make sure it is well anchored against floating away.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No flood damage but there was wind damage. I leave the computer window locked into a position where it is slightly open (my ailing cat likes to sleep on that windowsill and watch the world go by). The wind ripped the window handles off and blew the window wide open. I was quite surprised to find the window closed with a piece of rope attatched to the computer table when I got home from work -one of my neighbours who has a key let himself in "fixed" it for me.

Reply to
ARW

The jokes have started already;

"I've just seen a bunch of dyslexic Africans. They've been putting flowers at the door of Nissan main dealers".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The jokes have started already;

"I've just seen a bunch of dyslexic Africans. They've been putting flowers at the door of Nissan main dealers".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ignoring the "most read" etc sections, I counted 39 links to Mandela stories on the front page of news.bbc.co.uk

Reply to
Andy Burns

And make sure you employ a good Arkhitech.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Newsflash: Nelson Mandela still dead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I live by the sea. So I won't ever be flooded out, unless the sea rises a lot, which it won't.

Reply to
Matty F

That's a huge relief.

Reply to
Richard

It is. Judging by the many obituaries on the meja I was expecting news of him having risen again any time soon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And an even better Hengineer

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You ARE in cloud cuckoo land. That is exactly what happened.

The British Isles with a large continental shelf is ideal especially on the North Sea coast which has the perfect shape for it.

Reply to
harryagain

More info here.

harryagain