Best recommended external wood stain ?

After recommendations here I used Liberon Decking oil on a large decking project earlier this year.

Have now added a large Pergola project, and along with an outbuilding I need to coat it all with some good wood stain.

Liberon don't recommend the decking oil on vertical surface .... they do make a 10yr Extreme Wood stain ... but at ~£30 for 2.L this is not cheap (would need 4 tins)

What is the considered opinion on best long lasting wood stain (looking for a light / clear prodcut, eg Liberon poplar)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On Friday 06 December 2013 13:33 Rick Hughes wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I've found Sadolin (classic and others) to be pretty reasonable stuff.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I expect Liberon are just covering their arse. Providing you "massage" the oil into the wood, and don't tosh it on with a yard broom, it's unlikely to form puddles at the base. IME no finish extends the life of the timber, and most commit you to a lifetime of refinishing. I prefer the natural silver grey look

Reply to
stuart noble

Don't see why this would be arse covering .. the opposite they are recommending a more suitable product form their range. Also looking at option of Sadolin Classic

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Would be nice if it matched your decking though. No reason I can think of why oil can't be used on vertical surfaces

Reply to
stuart noble