Welding mask - necessary?

For a small arc welder for a small job, is a mask really necessary? The spark doesn't look any brighter than starting at a bright lightbulb.
--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."

It is very necessary. You don't need anything fancy though. A simple hand held shield will do.
Mike
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:33:56 -0000, "Muddymike"

Yurp, weld flash is no joke.

If it's from the UV, would you not also get sunburn on your face then? If you go out in the sun, your face gets burnt long before anything happens to your eyes.
--
Then there was the Eskimo girl who spent the night with her
boyfriend and next morning found she was six months pregnant.
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:46:26 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Yes!
but DAMHIKT
Avpx
--
"Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and
reboot."

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem? You stop welding when your face is red.
--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.
On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

The lens in youe eye focuses the image of the arc onto a small portion of your retina, which is more easily damaged than your skin. Concentrated light plus more sensitivity equals more
Of course, you *could* try the experiment on yourself, then buy a screen reader like Mr. Gaff's so you could post the results....
Arc eye is *not* fun. I know this from personal experience, and I only caught a quick accidental glimpse of a welder working some yards away
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I thought it was the skin on the surface of the eyeball that was burnt like sunburn?

How come you got that so easily? I didn't.
--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

On 07/12/2013 17:21, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

For anyone sensible the answer is yes you always need a welding mask for protection from the arcs hard UV component and any flux splatter.
But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The gloves seem a bit over the top.
--
A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes.

On 08/12/2013 18:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Not after the first time you see a large lump of white hot metal spattering off the workpiece.... For a similar reason, welders tend to wear boots that can be removed very quickly indeed.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Quite a few of those I've seen, and one did hit my hand, I just flicked it off.
--
Make like a post-it note and stick around....

On 08/12/2013 20:38, John Williamson wrote:

I ruined a good pair of trainers that way once ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Mine were 8 quid in Asda so nevermind.
--
Never dive into deep concrete.

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:46:26 PM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Your brain prevents your eyes looking at the sun.
Robert

At the risk of childish replies, mine doesn't. Can't you look at the sun? It's not that bright. What do you do when you're driving with very low sun? And I mean below the visor.
--
If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

It is when "Gefreiter Krueger" has it.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 50th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3179
Celebrate Afflux

Oh do grow up.
--
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa

On Saturday 07 December 2013 16:33 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Particularly if you don't want to get a painful case of arc-eye and possible long term eye damage!

It doesn't look brighter than a lightbulb (this is a small welder), and UV would give me sunburn on my face before it damaged my eyes surely?
--
When they found out their wives were attending a sex-toy party,
the husbands refused to go and pick them up,