Subject Author Posted Replies

Ceiling light fitting, how to release?
ceiling light fitting, how to release? I need to get the wiring, but I am missing a clue. http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/9277463901/lightbox/
2

Mum and Dad's Thomson TV won't remember the settings.
Every time they switch it on, it now goes through the setup menu (select language, etc.). I'm assuming there's some sort of small battery in there that could be replaced. Do TV's normally have such a...
9
9

VCR in line with TV Aerial
Just back from an elederly friend's home - he was saying he struggles to get all the Freeview channels. On reflection, I realise that he still has a VCR in the aerial line and I am wondering if this...
14
14

SDS rotary stop / hammer only adapter
Hi I have a SDS drill with a rotary or rotary+hammer setting. I would like to use it on hammer only for chasing out cables and back boxes (moorcut box sinker looks attractive). Is there a chuck...
13
13

Earthing imperial conduit, and trunking
Hi Does anyone know from whence can be obtained the screws for earthing imperial conduit back boxes? They have a slightly raised part of the back face and a tapping to accept a screw. It might be 2BA...
13
13

Who needs a concrete pump when you have this chap?
Inventive, but probably gets the H&S bods to wet themselves...
36
36

Balancing a ceiling fan
Damnit, I tried little washers taped to all the blades in all different places, and all I've managed is to halve the wobble.
25
25

Gluing perspex - hint
There was a need for a 50mm square of 6mm perspex this afternoon. There pr obably is some in a dark corner somewhere, but all I could find was nominal ly 3mm. Now I know that it's acetone plus perspex...
11
11

Recommendations please for board for microwave oven shelf
Hello, I need to replace existing chipboard shelf in a tall oven unit. The shelf has been carrying Microwave/Combination satisfactorily but is flexed badly and it seems an ideal opportunity to replace...
6
6

Starting a car without a battery:
A story from the past. When I was a student I attended lectures by Fred Hoyle, who some may recognize as a Science Fiction writer, or older people may recall he gave a series of TV programs about the...
69
69

BrillPad tweets:
"On what is billed as hottest day of year wind currently providing a 0.4% of electricity. A mere 144 MW out of 32,800 MW being consumed."
4
4

Where do I put my pint glass then?
http://www.standpage.com/en/stand/ http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/07/09/20111003_stand_print_10_vert-9c077e4947950bf495f03e0265a2bf6d637d3bef-s51.jpg
16
16

Paint: Eggshell v Satinwood
I feel I ought to know by now but what is the difference? mark
1
1

OT How to find a reliable tradesman
I need someone to refurbish my patio and paths, I've become too old for all the bending. How on earth does one find a reliable tradesman? I know no one who has had similar work done, so...
61
61

Hours Counters on Plant & Machinery
Equipment such as garden tractors, minidiggers, and so on, is often fitted with electronic hours counters these days. How difficult are they to reset? I'm not about to move into a new field of crime:...
5
5