For those in danger of flooding

Watching the news everyone seems to be saying 'no one knows how bad it will get'

This is bollocks.

Look at the website and check the pulse of water coming downstream in YOUR river system, and the answer is easy.

The Natural Philosopher

I have just looked at a few monitoring stations at places I have passed in the past couple of hours. Only the tops of a few hedges show the boundary between river and fields and the web site says 'flooding is possible'.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That just tells us how much water is already here. Do you know how much more rain we'll get in the next few weeks? So, no one knows how bad it will get.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Don't confuse them with facts.

It is such a pity that all the people who really know how to solve our problems are too busy posting to usenet.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

The problem often is though that if a river is tidal, and the water coming from above, down from the hills, and up via the tide all happen at the same time, its going to be a bad day.

Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

See they were right!

grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

no, for that you need to understand the met office charts.

Look the point is that if you see river levels dropping UPSTREAM then you know things are unlikely to get worse..

Burt conversely if its raining upstream still, its gonna get worse downstream later.

The front page 'flood possible' is utterly useless. You have to look one by one at each river station individually.

Naturally the EA makes it as impossible as possible.

e.g.

Cookham lock is peaking.

Why? The THames os locked and weired all the way down.

It looks very much as though water is being held back from the lower Thames in order to protect London. Because river is pretty low by the time you get to Richmond.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's tidal at Richmond.

Reply to
charles

The lastest EA map shows "flood warning" right down river to Richmond. it just takes time to get there.

Reply to
charles