Anyone here flooded out?

Just wondering if any of the regulars here are flooded? On the news, it mentioned that 25 square miles of land are currently flooded. Of course, it may be that the answer is yes, but they're also off the net. Some people have had no phone or broadband since just before Christmas.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had to slacken the mooring ropes the other day. Does that count? I'm floating six inches higher now than I was at Christmas.

Reply to
John Williamson

Oddly enough, I have less water this year than I had in the summer of

2012, when I had newts swimming past my shed on what should have been paving.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm trying to remember when the lawn flooded. It hasn't yet this year.

Reply to
mogga

Nowhere near.

Mind you the garden pond hasn't needed topping up for some time. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not here (but then we're on top of the Downs) although there is some standing water. The Stour as it goes through Canterbury looks to be about 10ft above normal level. It looks like quite a bit of water is being held back in the valley between Wye and Canterbury. There, at least, there's next to no building on the flood plain. Some villages downstream of Canterbury would prolly get flooded if they dint do this.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There's part of Tooting Common which has been flooded for weeks now. Actually more water on it yesterday than last week - and of course London has missed the worst of it.

I've seen that part of the common flooded before - but never for as long as now, and I've lived hereabouts for over 40 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not as yet. Dangerously close a few days ago. I've lived on this island for

60 years and in that time it has not ever flooded. Water risen by about 200mm today in response to the last 24hrs output. Fine day today and I expect the level will abate overnight. Local fields are under about 1m of water. Don't know what the weather forecast is but am keeping an eye on the barometers. SWMBO has got a thing about sandbags being a vital requirement. Have made 30 and positioned today to her satisfaction. Bugger all good they'll do but one can't do enough for a good boss. If this place floods then a huge area of SE England is going to be under water. All services beneath ground. No outages on any yet. Touch wood. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

That's always the case if you put enough children into it!

Reply to
Capitol

On Friday 07 February 2014 14:22 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Robertsbridge had half the road gates up on Xmas eve, but they did not need to complete the exercise.

Today, the flood plains (farmers fields) are underwater and the Rover Rother has burst its banks in most places.

Mobile is dead (met the bloke working on it, cell tower lost its config, being reloaded from laptop).

Everything else OK.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Garden pond, which is the house soakaway never been higher.

But living on top of a watershed, between the Stour and Ouse river systems, flooding is someone else problem.

It's going to get worse though. The fields are absolutely 100% sodden, the land drains are gushing and there's even more heavy rain a-coming.

And VERY high winds. Turbine toppling winds. And waves. Off the-chart waves.

Running into the Ouses system, by nearest river monitoring point has broken previous records

Water is being controlled well at Cambdridge and downstream on the Cam/Ouse, but its very high above there,

Stour river system seems in better shape. Pulses have been and gone and have been absorbed well.

The environment agency site is a pain to use, but a half an hour of checking your local river monitors is a good way to build up a reasonable picture of your area.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our garden has been under water since about 3am this morning. It's going down now but the rest of the weekend doesn't look good. We have the sandbags out.

From the river Stour in Warwickshire

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

My garden pond has grown to about 1/2 acre:-)

Luton district got about 35mm of rain overnight and, with fields already saturated, most of it is heading for London. Dropping slightly now but I could do without more rain for a while.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not bad here - thankfully, I live on the top flat area of a hill. But was on the phone earlier talking to someone in Chinnor, Bucks, concerned how she will get home. Apparently most of the roads out are at least difficult - some possibly formally closed. She will get home, I think, by going miles out of her way over Bledlow Ridge, and West Wycombe - but the fields there have been partially flooded for weeks. Sounds like it is the worst it has been so far.

Reply to
polygonum

That's the problem, it may well have flooded lots in the past but nobody remembers it so they built on it. Now they think it shouldn't flood and demand expensive measures to stop it flooding and shift the floods somewhere else.

Reply to
dennis

And because the island is overcrowded, we are building on flood plains. Gotta build them houses somewhere! We're really short of space for new infrastructure, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A tip I was given a long time ago was, if looking to live near a river, make sure you are near an old Church. They were usually built on higher ground by people who knew from experience which bits were going to flood in the days before modern drainage systems.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And the more houses are built up stream the more likely it is to flood.

Reply to
bert

In message , Tim Streater writes

Personally I think they should revisit high rise given the change in demographics and the fact that young people don't get married or start families until they are in their thirties.

Reply to
bert

Due to unrestricted immigration when Blair was in charge.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright