Subject Author Posted Replies

Lagging on gas pipes?
Why do I see some (but a small number) of gas pipes (from people's meters along the wall for a few metres into their house) lagged? Gas liquifies at -162 C, and Scotland isn't THAT cold. Mind you it's...
14
14

replacement key for old box lock
I'm restoring an old box (probably 50 - 100 yrs old) for a friend which has a simple box lock fitted in the front edge. The key is missing and I would like to get a replacement. It would have to be a...
1
1

'U'U clips, spire clips/nuts, what is max thickness of flange they fit over?
I had to do something similar recently. I used (in my case M8) coach bolts from underneath, a slight recess being necessarily to clear the dome of the head. Then M8 nuts on the top. Had to cut the...
17
17

Bending a radiator?
30+ years ago we had a 2 storey extension built and a whole-house water heating woodburner installed at the same time. The chap that installed the woodburner and associated plumbing recommended a...
13
13

Watchman Sonic weirdness
Took my Watchman Sonic oil level monitor off to replace the battery and the underside and interior of it are completely covered in a thin, white, soft, powdery coating (looks like talc, except finer)....
4
4

OT: A nice little Adblock alternative
Someone on one of the comp groups pointed me in the direction of a powerful geeks alternative to Adblock for Firefox called RequestPolicy. It can be set initially to block all outbound requests...

Humming Bandsaw
I was cutting out the teeth on a wooden cog the other day, and hence had the bandsaw running for 20 mins or so. All went ok. Came back to use it half an hour later, and it just hummed at me when I...
8
8

pan connector leak at soil pipe end
I have fitted a new pan connector (as the old one was leaking badly at the pan end) but it leaks slightly at the soil pipe. It's a straight horizontal connection. The pipe is a 100mm pipe, and the pan...
17
17

Remote central heater control
Anyone got practical advice on setting up remote CH controller, using smart phone or computer to switch the heating on or off?
25
25

adding honeywell type valve for zone control
At work we occupy an old coach house with a 1950s ballroom attached, The heating is all on one zone and the ballroom has 3 radiators supplied under floor, the rest of the house has a mixture of...
5
5

Recommendations for soldering magnifier or microscope
I do a bit of DIY electronics, and sometimes use some of the larger surface-mount packages such as SOIC. My ability to focus on close objects (even with reading glasses) is suffering the usual...
44
44

large victorian paving slabs or flagstones
Hi, I have a front path that consists of seven flagstones/paving slabs. The slabs are each 55 inch [4ft 7in] (140cm) by 24 inch [2ft] (61cm). The problem is that some are badly worn away from 140...
13
13

Ooops of the day
If you have a UPS to protect your computers against power fail, make sure the cats don't step on the power button hem hem hem.
21
21

Nominations invited . . . . .
For the most shagged element still in working condition category. See: Image shows a working twin MI element removed from my grill with split in outer casing revealing the coiled element and...
3
3

New Radiator for Old
I have a double radiator (it has convection channels on the back of each panel) that measures 80cms wide by 60cms high. It is an original in the house (1988 build). I don't know the output but is it...
9
9