Lagging on gas pipes?

Why do I see some (but a small number) of gas pipes (from people's meters along the wall for a few metres into their house) lagged? Gas liquifies at -162 C, and Scotland isn't THAT cold. Mind you it's very thin lagging, so may serve some other purpose? Is it to make it look pretty?
--
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

fuck off with your trolling hucker prick
On 08/02/15 16:29, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Depends on the gas :)
Butane liquefies at the temperature of ice cream.

[checks, -1C] I never knew that. I guess it's halfway between natural gas and petrol. Hang on a minute, people use butane gas stoves when camping in winter don't they?
-- While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossible goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any account of a ”god gene“ that causes the majority of Americans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World societies apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the rest of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the United Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According to the United Nations’ Human Development Report (2005) they are also the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult literacy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, homicide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked lowest in terms of human development are unwaveringly religious. --Sam Harris (An Atheist Manifesto)
On 08/02/2015 18:18, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Only the ones that haven't tried it before. The wise ones use a spirit stove or propane.
On 08/02/15 18:44, Dennis@home wrote:

Was in a caravan when I was a kid in autumn. Couple of cold nights and we had to wait before we could fire up the stove with butane.

Mostof these gas cartridges have a butane propane mix.
On 08/02/15 18:18, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Only if they want cold tea.
Propane or propane mix would be the order of the day :)
writes

With difficulty
--
bert

I thought burners were calibrated for a particular gas and wouldn't work right with the wrong one.
--
Some believe that the world converting to the metric system would greatly simplify our measures. But look what would really happen to our old cliches:
A miss is as good as 1.6 kilometres.

Not calibrated so much as different for the different gas.

In fact piped gas does vary in composition with the season in places which have significantly cold winters.
And that is a separate matter entirely to whether you do get to burn the propane with a mix that has had the butane liquefy when its cold.

Could it be denso tape, to prevent corrosion, or does it really look like thermal lagging?
Could it be to disguise some easily nickable copper?
--
Andrew Gabriel

ters along the wall for a few metres into their house) lagged? Gas liquifies at -162 C, and Scotland isn't THAT cold. Mind you it's very thin lagging, so may serve some other purpose? Is it to make it look pretty?

Yes, it looks like that. So copper doesn't last outside then? It's only on about 5% of houses, so I'm guessing most think it's not needed, or not before the warranty of the installation expires anyway :-)

It's not a very good disguise. A pipe from a gas meter tends to be worth something.
Anyway, at 2.40 a kg, is it really worth taking such small bits?
-- A bloke walks into a Glasgow library and says to the prim librarian, "Excuse me Miss, dey ye hae ony books on suicide?" To which she stops doing her tasks, looks at him over the top of her glasses and says, "Buggeroff, ye'll no bring it back!"

Gypos round here are VERY stupid.
--
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

I disagree.
--
Men are like bagpipes. You won't get anything unless you blow them first.

writes:

Doesn't change a thing.