Subject Author Posted Replies

OT and apropos of nothing
A small motor car came right up my drive this afternoon into my car park and stopped. Ah, visitors! Wonder who it can be! But as I watched no-one got out of the car. After a while it went forward a...
63
63

OT: Love Letters to Richard Dawkins
Love Letters to Richard Dawkins. Warning: "slightly" strong language - nearly as bad as in the High St. April 11th, 2014 - In a candid moment, filmmaker Eric Preston, founder and producer at Fusion...
1
1

Useful (old) info on fireplaces and chmneys...
Farmers' Bulletin 1889 - Fireplaces and Chimneys, by Arthur H. Senner And Thomas A. H. Miller, a Project Gutenberg eBook.
2
2

Rimless wall plugs, minimal taper?
The skirting board fixing is progressing. The MDF skirting for the bay is now bent almost to fit, and just needs pulling in that last little bit with screws into the wall. For the rest of the skirting...
30
30

Not oiling a wooden worktop (kitchen)
I'm considering some new worktops - ye olde plastic laminate type or wood. Wondering about the fuss over "oiling" the wood ones or not. It's probably going to be cherry if that matters. (Or something...
39
39

Sky+HD and DVD recording
We have a Sky+HD recorder (an Amstrad DRX 890C) but not the HD service, only SD. We also have a Philips DVDR 7260H, which is a stand-alone DVD/HDD recorder. Both machines have HDMI outputs which go up...
7
7

Glue for stretchy fabric - in reasonable quantity
I want to glue some moderately stretchy fabric, in particular I want to be able to glue hems and seams so they lie flat. I can't seem to find anything really suitable for this in reasonable quantities...
12
12

Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud
I have raised this before... And tried some stuff. And I cannot believe there is no solution... hence the first part of the subject. The problem: "How do I make an existing linux file server be a...
122
122

Replacement Corner Post for Marley Concrete Garage
I have a garage at one end of a block of 1950's Marley (I think) concrete garages - the things built from prefabricated pebble dashed concrete sections. The corner post on the detached end of the...
3
3

China going renewable.
A shift in policy towards cleaner energy has seen a dramatic slowdown in china's demand for coal
3
3

what grade of grit to loosen my shaft?
Hi all Simple form of question: what grade of grit would the team suggest to try to loosen a steel shaft which is supposed to rotate 'reasonably' freely within a housing arm? The shaft is around...
9
9

OT(ish) - white cable clips
I am about to clip some white speaker cable to the side of a white door frame. Obviously, I could use white cable clips. From the earlier thread about clip sizes I need ones suitable for 1.0mm T&E....
9
9

OT: Channel crossing
I need to take a car across the Channel in a couple of weeks. Is there a ferry service that lets me just turn up and drive on? All the ones on the internet talk about bookings being required, or...
70
70

Humax and "catch-up"
Is it possible to record catch-up, or any TV broadcasters equivalent? Having a slow broadband it would be great to be able to record them and play them back at my own choosing.
7
7

Remote control quadcopter to inspect flat roof
I've got a loft conversion with a flat roof that's coming up to ten years old. I'm guessing it's got a fair bit of life left in it, but I'll probably want to have a look at it every few years so I can...
33
33