Tile removal - plasterboard

SWMBO wants the bathroom doing up including re-tiling. The walls are plasterboard (the internal walls are made of a plasterboard sandwich with scraps of PD between the outer skins - the only timber is on the floor and ceiling.

I am thinking that the PB may get damaged in removing the tiles and I am wondering what the chances might be of repalcing the bathroom side skin with the waterproof cement based board. Might it be possible or will it be likely to destroy the while internal partition?

I don't want to over tile or over skin as the room is very small and every centimetre counts. The bath is slotted in at both ends and it is here that some damamge has occurred.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Paramount board? The two plasterboard faces are glued to a latticework of cardboard, I'd say you've got no chance to replace one of them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's not a case of 'may' it's a case of 'will'.

Reply to
David Lang

No - the development built in 1987 had the walls made of platerboard which was nailed to a batten that ran along the ceiling and along the floor. Scraps of plasterboard were stuck to the back (to the thickness of the battens) and then another panel was put on to form the other face. A sort of home made partition. I guess your suggestion of "no chance" will still stand.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There's cheap then there's cheap! At least you know how to fix it - just wet plaster it. But if you're retiling there's no need really.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr