how to tile woodchipped plasterboard ?

Having had four quotes in now for updating an ordinary 2m x 3m bathroom (and with nothing particularly expensive, just a basic update) and all four quotes coming in at between £5,000 and £6,500 . . . I'm going to have to do it myself !

I'ld be grateful for advice on how best to proceed with tiling our walls.

What we've got as walls are plasterboard panels (nailed to studs), the plasterboard panels are then taped together where they meet, then the whole thing was papered in woodchip, before being given several coats of silk paint (probably oil-based).

When I tap the wallpaper all over, there are numerous small areas (areas about 4" x 4") where the woodchip is not stuck hard to the plasterboard.

What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks, Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Steam the woodchip off and tile over. If it won't come off in patches, don't worry. Tile on top of the good bits using a thick enough bed to line everything up properly. Strings and levels help in this.

As also does a batten nailed to the wall a little above the bottom, to get a level staring point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, Nat Phil. I am surprised to hear that it will be possible to steam the woodchip off. I presumed because it was silk-based the steam wouldn't be able to get through the paper and loosen the glue. But I have worried about this too much?

Must research steamers!

Thanks too for hints re. making sure the lines are straight.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Oh, I almost forgot. Is it really OK to tile straight onto plasterboard? Is the papery surface of the plasterboard able to form a strong bond with the tile-adhesive?

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Yup. You can give it a coat of dilute PVA first if you need to consolidate the surface should it get damaged getting the paper off.

Reply to
John Rumm

Huh? must be different woodchip to what I used to use then.

Very much soggy paper that was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very good idea, John. Thanks.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Err. Sorry. Didn't mean to say the paper was silk-based, but the coats of paint that seal it are silk-based (and probably oil-based). Will a steamer still work? I can imagine it easily lifting woodchip which has only been painted with emulsion.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

should be OK..direct steam under the edge of the paper rather than the surface.

Remember, you are not dong a pukka job here, merely making sure that anything loose comes off, and anything crumbly is stabilised.

You could try wet sponges and a scraper just as easily I suspect.

It doesn't take much to hold tiles (once grouted) up, by the way..think of them as a very thin brick wall, that just needs to be prevented from buckling by a light force sideways.. there is very little shear force on the cement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You /may/ need to lightly score the surface of the paint with a stanley knife. Other than that, I prefer removing paper with hot water and lots of patience (but that's just me).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Thanks, Nat Phil. Am just rather good at visualizing the worst: a wall of tiles come tumbling down while someone is sitting on the loo! Hence, concern about getting a good bond between tiles and the wall surface.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Good idea, Martin. Thanks. Yes, I reckon I need to think slow hard work, rather than woodchip just coming away with total obedience!

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

It comes off more easily if you penetrate the paper first to let the steam get behind it, eg with one of these things:

(or just some nails hammer through a length of wood.)

Reply to
matthelliwell

Thanks, Matt. Wow, what a clever implement! Brilliant invention. You "scrub" the wall with it, easily making 1000s of tiny holes to let the steam or removal solution get behind the paper. Amazing. Wish I could borrow one. Only need it for the one small bathroom.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

One of those decent bladed scrapers makes a big difference on woodchip.

e.g.

John Rumm