Cavity Wall insulation = more window condensation?

4-bed 1960s semi.

We had CWI fitted this summer (along with another 6" of loft insulation

- now a foot deep).

As the cold weather has descended, we _seem_ to be having a lot more condensation on our windows in the mornings, than we did in the past. (All windows are DG by the way, but with wooden frames.)

Could this be so? Or is it (like the dark nights and mornings) an annual phenomenon, which we always manage to forget each year?

In summer (or "Summer" I should say) I also blocked up the chimney of our open fireplace with an old pillow (about to be removed, when I finally succumb to the cold evenings). However I can't see how blocking up the front room chimney could cause more condenso in the bedrooms.

Cheers John

Reply to
jal

Yes, I think so. A generally warmer room will absorb more moisture and instead of it all going out on the icy walls - where the plaster will generally absorb it to an extent, its all having to hit the windows.

Having said that we've got SG and loads of insulation (odd choice, but let it pass) and we seem to be in a situation of maximum condensation right now: the air outside is just warm enough to have a decent amount of humidity in it, and yet cold enough at night to cause it all to drip.

Try opening all windows for an hour before going to bed.

You would be surprised. I cam tell 30 meters away when SWMBO has left a window open..the other end of the house..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In fall I alot of get condensation as the house drys from a humid summer. Condensation forms at the coldest place, your windows. Maybe you need better windows, maybe the walls were very poor before. Windows to look for have ratings and one is CDF or condensing factor, just because a window is expensive Low E argon means nothing, use certified ratings.

Reply to
ransley