cavity wall insulation

my maisonette seems to lose a fair bit of heat and i have to put the heating on almost constantly to keep it warm. the wall in the lounge and main bedroom is an outside wall and is north facing. it is always very cold to touch, and condensation must go straight to this wall as mould has appeared on several occasions.

i am writing to ask about cavity wall insulation. i only own the ground floor and there is another flat above me that shares this wall. it sounds like cavity wall insulation would stop this wall being so cold which would save energy bills and also stop the wall attracting condensation. but how would this work with my neighbour above? i guess i'd have to pay for the whole job or convince him to pay half?

has anybody else here had this job done and did they get any help in the form of a grant from the council or energy companies?

Reply to
benpost

The cavity wall insulation company's surveyor will inspect your property and advise on whether your flat is suitable, having your walls filled independently of your upstairs neighbour, and the grants available, prior to you placing the order. You could discuss it with your neighbour in case they have a similar problem with condensation, or just want to reduce their heating costs, but I don't think that paying for their insulation is necessary. Semis are often insulated independently of the adjoining semi.

Reply to
DIY

I asked about doing just the lower floor of my house (It's clad above) and they refused saying they had to fill up to the roof line in case water penetrated the cavity above. Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold