Cavity Wall Insulation for a flat

We have a ground floor flat (or maisonette, as the Estate Agent called it) in a 1960 building that contains 4 flats - 2 upstairs and 2 on the ground floor. We'd like to get cavity wall insulation, but haven't had anyone round yet. There's a slim chance the flat above ours would go for it if we were having it done, but there's no chance the other ground floor flat would; if upstairs don't do it at the same time as us, we wouldn't want to do anything that stopped them doing it in the future. Is this going to be possible, or will the firms just laugh at us because of our uncooperative neighbour?

Reply to
Stephen Gower

| We have a ground floor flat (or maisonette, as the Estate Agent | called it) in a 1960 building that contains 4 flats - 2 upstairs | and 2 on the ground floor. We'd like to get cavity wall | insulation, but haven't had anyone round yet. | | There's a slim chance the flat above ours would go for it if we | were having it done, but there's no chance the other ground floor | flat would; if upstairs don't do it at the same time as us, we | wouldn't want to do anything that stopped them doing it in the | future. | | Is this going to be possible, or will the firms just laugh at us | because of our uncooperative neighbour?

When our house cavities were filled with *foam* they drilled a matrix of holes, IIRC 2 ft centers, because the foam only moved short distance. So the stuff would stay *roughly* in your walls. If the upstairs people filled with foam, or rock wool later, your insulation would not affect theirs.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In article , Stephen Gower writes

You don't mention what the "deal" is with the property. Most flats are leasehold, with the shell of the building belonging to the Freeholder. This may be an independent person or company, or the leaseholders may own the freehold between them. Either way work like this is almost certain to be down to the freeholder (or at least require their consent).

Adrian

(ex-leaseholder)

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

What arrangements are there in the lease for management of common parts? Assuming a sensible lease the walls should be common parts and therefore not your direct responsibility

Reply to
DJC

My leasehold is a peppercorn rent until 7th October 2959, so the owner of the freehold doesn't take much interest in the property! I don't have the documents here but my recollection, and the practical reality, is that we and upstairs take joint responsibilty for the maintenance of the outside of the building. Basically a Commonhold agreement drawn up (40ish years) before the law allowed actual commonhold.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

You really need to look at the lease. I have been director and secretary of a flat management company for 20 years. In my case the company was set up by the builder who did the conversion (4 flats) and then handed it over to the leaseholders. Subsequently the company purchased the freehold thus creating and effective commonhold. The lease will define how things are supposed to work rather than practical reality but it is the best place to start when contemplating any major work on the fabric, especially if there is potential for disagreement among the owners.

Reply to
DJC