More Cavity wall Insulation

Have brick built house with wooden floors and in walls there are air brick vents for underfloor ventilation.If I have cavity wall insulation will these vents be blocked .I understand that the cavity goes right down to the foundation so to my mind the foam must reach the vents.I hope someone can tell me different.

allan

Reply to
allan

air bricks are in the outer course and then sleeved with cavity liners through the inner course so any cavity wall insulation should not block them (well in my house at least)

Reply to
Kevin

That's the theory Kevin, but is not always so - especially in older properties.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Allan,

When you get the insulation surveyor there, they *should* drill the wall at various points and have a look inside the cavity. Point out the airbricks to him, and ask him to have a look in those areas and then they *should* advise you on their condition, what they will do to prevent blocking them and advise on any remedial works that need doing before they start to fill with either fibre or polystyrene balls (not expanding foam as this has caused major problems in the past)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

">

Thanks for repliesThe surveyor has been and he did not drill any holes.I think will have a word with him.House was built in 1968 so is there a chance that there will be liners in the vents.

Reply to
allan

Reply to
Tanner-'op

The first surveyor I had out (from a company I didn't use) looked around and then commented "We may have trouble filling that end garage wall cavity as the hedge is very close to it" my reply was "You may have trouble filling the end garage wall as it's single skinned." It was obviously single skinned as it's got a supporting pillar half way along it!

I pointed out the "internal" cavity wall between the house and the garage that did require filling. What I still can't understand is how he made this mistake as the house is two storey, and the attached garage is single storey with a pitched roof! I think it's fair to state that the "surveyors" are often little more than salesmen who have been on a training course.

Reply to
Doctor D

You sure about the training course?

Reply to
Keith W

Keith,

A SWALEC appointed agent did my loft insulation and cavity wall fill around

18 months ago for the princely sum of £220. British Gas wanted double that figure. [1]

Might be worth your while contacting your energy company[s] and see can be done.

My house is a mid 70's bog standard traditional built semi.

[1] I had a quote from both of them as I have yet to 'switch' my energy suppliers and I still use one for electrickery and the other for gas.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Good advice. I had mine done courtesy of London Electric although I live in Worcestershire and get my energy from elsewhere! The supply companies get government bonuses for cutting emissions and my house had no insulation at all. My contribution was £199 for 18" loft and cavity wall insulation in a large detached house.

Have a look at

for details of grants available to you.

Reply to
Doctor D

I live in a rather interesting semi-detached house. Part of it is modern cavity wall construction and that was insulated some years ago but the original part of the house was built in 1919 and is essentially a traditional 9 inch solid wall, but the walls on the ground floor also have an inner 4 inch brick skin with a cavity to the main wall. The original dpc was slate and some of the walls have since had a chemical dpc installed where the slate had failed.

Originally I considered insulating this cavity but decided against it for fear of damp penetration but I have been wondering about getting it done. Has anyone else had experience of this sort of construction?

I should add that the main 9 inch wall bricks are very soft and absorbent though I have treated them with silicone twice over the last

22 years.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian