Cavity wall and roof insulation and condensation

Hello all,
My ongoing saga of condensation. By now I think everyone knows about the dripping walls in the kitchen in winter. The walls are dry now because its heated up and stopped raining a bit and I use the de humidifier as an extractor fan substitute.
Someone suggested cavity wall insulation might solve this.
To cut a long story short, I the local council sent someone round who is now arranging for cavity wall insulation ( the bead stuff) and for 10" of insulation in the roof.
However, now OH is saying it is a waste of time and will likely cause more problems. I have googled it one site says one thing, another entirely the opposite.
So, in short,opinions please - should I get this or not ( btw, it seems I can have this FOC despite the fact they stopped grants because it seems there is still funding for homes like mine which suffer from what they call locally " the Cornish problem" - wind, wet, rain, cold SW, old house and no insulation since 1950's)
I have a 1950's detached bungalow in a rural village. Electric only (no mains gas or drains either).
Any help deciding on this would be helpful.
Thanks.
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

Would it not be easier to see if you can get cavity insulation fitted to the other half? would solve almost all your problems :)

Please do not tempt me. I have already told him that.
A subsidiary question about roof space.
If you have 12 ins roof insulation and it comes over the joists and any roof boarding ( and none). How doyou get to your electrics, telephone cables and other stuff up there if you cannot see the joists ( or even find them) hidden under insulation?
We have all these things in the roof space.
Thanks
On Monday 24 June 2013 12:15 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Something like:
http://www.loftzone.co.uk/
and you lift the boards and the insulations as needs be to access.

Thank you, That seems to have shut OH up.
On Monday 24 June 2013 19:01 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And needless to say, you don't have to spend money to floor the whole space - just the central area where the roof is higher - wherever you are likely to crawl and store stuff.

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:50:08 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Doesn't look a bad system that one. But how do you slide the last beam, between gable end walls, onto the mounts?
But I'm not overly convinced you need to go to that much bother. The insulation value of 100 mm glass wool and 18 mm chip isn't that far from 200+ mm of glass wool. Then you have all the stuff on top. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 23/06/2013 14:55, Gazz wrote:

I think sound insulation would be more effective?
On 25/06/2013 00:17, Fredxx wrote:

And I thought OH needed some CH3CH2...
--
Rod

"sweetheart" wrote in message
[...]
As well as insulating your property perhaps consider a device such as http://www.dewstop.com/
On 23/06/2013 13:51, sweetheart wrote:

Go for it. Insulation WILL change your life
On 06/23/2013 03:13 PM, stuart noble wrote:

I'd go for blow-fibre rather than beads but other than that it will most likely prove beneficial, however there's no doubt some people have reported damp after installing it. I'd certainly give it a go if I was constantly troubled by condensation and personally have had no issues.
Andy C

I do not have a choice. Its what they will be giving me. As I said, its not me paying, CCC is. I live in a private house but this is under some scheme or other.
but other than that it will most

So you had cavity wall insulation fitted and didn't have problems?
What about this 10" in the roof insulation? I keep reading that causes condensation too.
They want to do both in my case. We have around 2" up there now apparently ( but OH tells me there is no saving in having much deeper as the thermal efficiency is dramatically reduced after the first two inches(???))
On 06/23/2013 05:41 PM, sweetheart wrote:

I've had 4" for years. A couple of years ago, I more than doubled it, except for the boarded part in the centre. I don't see how keeping walls and ceilings warmer will lead to wet walls. It may well lead to wetter windows though, but that's easily dealt with.
Does your husband still think the earth is flat too or has he accepted the science? Must be hard work !!!!
Andy C

Well, since you ask, my OH still thinks workhouses exist and if we are not frugal we will end up in one - I am not joking. Yes, he is hard work.
I really had thought this problem was being solved - and getting it free was a bonus - but he seems to think it willmeake our house unmortgageable.
On 06/23/2013 06:40 PM, sweetheart wrote:

So millions of houses are unmortgageable ???? That REALLY IS UTTER RUBBISH.
Andy C
sweetheart wrote:

If anything, it will do the opposite. It will also make it easier to sell, if you decide to move.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
On 23/06/2013 18:40, sweetheart wrote:

This is complete and utter twaddle! Literally millions of houses have had after market CWI fitted.
--
Peter Crosland

On 23/06/2013 17:41, sweetheart wrote:

Rubbish.
I don't know the numbers, but the first two inches mightsave 20% of your heating loss. Or something like that.
The next two inches will thenonly save 20% of the remaining loss. 16%.
The next two again 20% of the remaining loss - that's 13% or so.
It is diminishing returns, but it's well worth you doing this.
Andy