Subject Author Posted Replies

Another mains supply question.
Sort of from my previous post. The smart meter man said my cutout was overheating and wanted it fixed before proceeding. Said it was leaking pitch or whatever. Called out UK Power. They said nothing...
24
24

An earthing question
Sorry to dilute the posts with a DIY question. About 20 years ago, having extended the house and with some new circuits, changed the CU to a split load type. The old was earthed to the incoming water...
19
19

Working temperature ranges of adhesives?
Almost a fortnight ago, I posted the following at Working temperature ranges I have been asked to re-fix a handle which is no longer spot-welded to a bowl (17cm across, 6cm deep, about 0.5mm thick;...
8
8

More detailed sound from your HiFi
Fitted one of these in my HiFi mains plug and noticed fuck all difference.Dissapointed. Anyone else tried these? The UK-Supreme 3 fuse from HiFi TUNiNG combines the technology from Cardas alongside...
40
40

OT: Market Reaction to Qasi's Budget
I'm wondering if a white man would have got away with the exact same measures? Perhaps the markets are taking fright at his skin colour rather than the policy itself!
128
128

TOT: Any Twitter Users?
Gentlemen, Anyone here use Twitter? I have to confess I just don't get the layout at all. Seems very confusing, but that might just be my advanced age and inevitable encroaching senility. One thing...
15
15

That Amazon whinge
Seems more and more items that are "guaranteed delivery " are quietly slipping (after order, naturally) to +1 day. Luckily with SWMBO housebound for now, being in for delivery isn't a...
8
8

Tesco orange alkaline C cell life.
I bought a set of four of these in January 2005 (*) and put them in a Sony external battery pack that I used to power a Sony recording walkman. The latter has long gone after the belts gave up and the...
14
14

Amazon and their low cost heating thread
I could not make any replies to this thread be accepted, so.. Yes, the point often missed is that placement and localisation of the heat matters, as does how it is radiated. You get out what you put...
4
4

Rust-Proofing Steel
Gentlemen, I need to sink a substantial RSJ into the earth at the end of the garden to form a stable base for an antenna mast. I'll be digging out the earth, sinking the RSJ in to a depth of about 3'...
29
29

OT: Another electrical scam
Leading on from the electro-magnet therapy stuff, we have this: 1) Get a small basin (but large enough to put both feet in). 2) Add some water and enough salt to make it taste salty, not so much water...
2
2

Obtaining daily smartmeter readings (EON)
I get electricity from E.ON and a few months ago I had one of their smartmeters installed. I don't have a meter for gas. Is it possible to download ALL my meter reading data from the EON site? Perhaps...
33
33

Amazon low energy heater costs pennies to run - does it really?
I know nothing about energy, so I need your help. One thing I know is that Amazon reviews are easy to manipulate, but, before discarding it, I'd like the panel's opinion.
18
18

Do foxes like rubber?
Was watching TV yesterday about 22.30, and the power went off. Split load RCD tripped. Turned out a fox (or whatever) had chewed trough the mains cable feeding my car battery charger. Which was made...
6
6

Weather compensation - new wiki page
Since there has been a fair bit of discussion on things like this lately: free to improve as you fancy. It could probably do with sections on modern web connected, and room by room zoned systems as...
4
4