Using multi core cable instead of single core

Hi all,

I am doing some wiring outside to put some sockets for my outdoor kitchen. The cable will be channeled into a wall and rendered over and then there will be a short exposed section (behind a wall) and then into a cupboard. I have some multi strand rubber cable (HO7RN-F) which I believe is suitable for use outside so was wondering if using this would be ok - ideally within regs. I didn't see why being multi strand Vs single core really matters?

Many thanks in advance

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

No problem with using suitable stranded flex. Not a requirement but it may help to use ferrules.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nothing stopping you using it if it is of adequate conductor CSA for the application in question.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks very much both

Reply to
leenowell

Would I be right in assuming that the single core stuff is intended for fixed instalations where the routing will not often be distrubed, if ever, whereas the multi-strand (flex) is more for appliances which need to be moved around on a regular basis? That would seem to make sense to me. Flex tends to cost more than single core but the current handling of both (if sized correctly) is the same as will be the insulation if it's specified for mains voltages. So if the OP's got his flexible stuff for free, he's good to go I guess.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Power wiring used to be stranded, though not many strands. Ring mains used 7/.029, which is roughly equivalent to 2.5mm^2, with lighting normally 3/.029.

Reply to
Joe

The general rule used to be if the cable doesn't move, use the cheaper solid core.

IIRC armoured cables are stranded...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In general, yes. For larger CSA cables even the fixed wiring cable is stranded (although fewer heavier strands) to keep it workable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is there a big difference for, say 10mm2 T&E?

I'm about to put in place the wiring for a shower and it's quite a tortuous route. I'd bought single strand as it's fixed, but could easily swap it over for stranded if it's going to be significantly easier to thread.

Reply to
RJH

I confess to not seeing single strand 10mm2 cable, I've only seen cable of that size with what must be 7 strands!

Having to pull the cable through voids and spaces might become a little difficult!

Reply to
Fredxx

Indeed! The electrician bent my arm a bit - strongly advised 10mm for future proofing. He didn't mention strands though - I thought one strand for fixed was the general rule.

it was a bit of a double take lifting the 25m reel - heavy! This is what I've got:

RJH

Much depends on what you are doing with it - the main difference is getting it into and out of enclosures and switches.

For a shower, the shower end and the CU end are usually not too bad, the ceiling switch can be a pig though :-)

(and the electrician was right - makes sense to use the larger cable - the cost difference is not that much and both will be a pain to wire. So you may as well endure it the once and have the option of pretty much any shower in the future.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not kidding. I've replaced both the ceiling switch, and the shower in this house three times over the years. Wiring for the showers wasn't a problem. Those ceiling switches were a different matter altogether.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I did wonder why the electrician specified a wall mounted isolation switch . . .

Reply to
RJH