Using solid core BT cable for wiring alarm?

Hi,

I might be in deep s..t. I have just installed alarm system wiring /200m+/ All nicely under the floor, walls made good already etc. When I started testing the wires I realized that Rexel Senate sold me 6 solid core bt cable instead of stranded alarm cable.Should have checked I know but it is to late now. Is it going to be ok /I know it is stiffer and more difficult to squeeze in to the sensors/ or should I rip it all out and put proper alarm cable?

Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

I'd keep it. I'd be more worried about cross sectional area of conductors than anything else. Probably the only real worry is the wiring to any sounders/bell boxes, where the currents are much higher than the low detector currents. If you have to replace any of it, then these will be the ones to go.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Both telephone and alarm cable have a nominal cross sectional area of

0.2mm squared.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

On a similar note, how about using CAT5 for wiring an alarm? I only need it for the bell box as the remainder is wireless. I've a stack of CAT5 about the place but would need to go buy some alarm cable - I cant imagine the current is that great.

Reply to
anthony james

On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:54:05 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Rafal" strung together this:

I wouldn't worry too much, I've seen plenty of alarms wired in CW1308 type cabling. It's not ideal but it will work fine.

Reply to
Lurch

It'll be fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I would imagine those old phones with the proper bells in them took a fair bit of current!

Reply to
Ric

Yeah, but think of the voltage drop if the bell's on the other side of the house! I think I'll wire mine up in 1mm or so for that alone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:16:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Are you taking the piss?

Reply to
Lurch

You shouldn't have any problems with it as long as you pick the colour pairs for each section of the system. i.e.. orange pair for power, green pair for alarm and blue pair for tamper. The twisted pair configuration will take care of the rest. The power on the detectors and sounder circuits is measured in very small milliamps, so the cable is well able to handle this.

Reply to
BigWallop

"Ric" wrote | I would imagine those old phones with the proper bells in them took | a fair bit of current!

500 + 500 ohm solenoids in series, at say 70V ringing voltage. Using V = I x R,

70 / 1000 = 0.07A

This would be worst case, as in older installations up to 6 bells were wired in series. In the new installations a maximum of 4 high-impedance (2000+2000 in series) bells are run in parallel. Electronic ringers often have a higher impedance still.

In addition would be the not insignificant resistance of the line wires.

Intruder alarms bells are run at 12V however, so the current and thus the volt drop are higher.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't think pairs matter given that it's all DC. And wiring alarms so the colours aren't the 'sensible' ones is usually a good idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks a lot for putting my mind at rest. My becon saved again...for now Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

Why for now ? What else have you done ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:05:18 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "BigWallop" strung together this:

I'm sure we'll find out!

Reply to
Lurch

Funny you should say that but this time is plumbing so new post.

Thanks

Reply to
Rafal

LOL !!! We knew you'd be back. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Whatever type of cable you are using for long runs take a few mins out and test the cable for continuity on the roll first. If you have ever put in a 50 metre long run and then had to replace half of it as cable was duff then its time well spent. has only happened once with alarm cable and all rolls tested since have been ok but it was still a pain in the butt at the time

Steve

Reply to
steve