Subject Author Posted Replies

Road Rage and cycle lanes
From same `paper` as the B&Q banning Not condoning the actions of the driver, but the comment about cycle lanes in the story from Tim Lennon, from the Richmond Cycling Campaign: "...on a road like...
45

DIY maths/trig
Sitting in our smoking (barbecue) shelter last night, I pondered on building a conservatory with the same dimensions, but a bay at one end. It then dawned on me that unless I am missing something...
32
32

Lawn mowers
This must have been done many times before but things change so I thought I'd ask. I have about 750 m2 of back garden, mostly lawned. Current mower is 46 cm and I can't help thinking a wider one would...
21
21

Minecraft again
Ok, wrong place I know, but it has been discussed on here before.... Is Linux on a laptop likely to run Minecraft ok? A mate has offered me one (not sure what model or software version yet) but is it...
11
11

Strimmers!
Anyone found a grass edge strimmer that feeds the line reliably and isn't plagued with the ends continually disappearing into the spool?
17
17

Banned from B&Q
A DIY enthusiast has been banned from every B&Q store in the country for life ? after he tried to raise concerns about their exposed wiring. Raymond Meerabeau, 64, noticed the cover had come off a...
22
22

Now I know what the spiral is for
The spiral on metal chimneys that is. I used to think it was about having the wind help draw gases out of the chimney. In fact it about preventing wind eddies shaking the chimney to destruction.
30
30

bog-standard paving stones for a hearth?
Hi, I actually think bog-standard paving stones would look nice for a hearth. Is there any reason not to use them? I was thinking of using fireproof screed under the grate and then coming out from the...
2
2

Darwin award AND Selfie of the Year?
The unnamed 22-year-old was seen taking pictures of the lion from a metre away just moments before it sprang through window, park confirms, as police interview accompanying tour guide in hospital
18
18

holding a door for electrical planing
Hi, I need to plane the bottom of an internal door and have done this with other doors using an electrical plane. But when I did it before, I had someone to help me by holding the door upright so I...
33
33

Best varnish for outside table?
Hi all, I have made an outdoor table out of some untreated timber. I would like to retain the original wood colour so am looking for a clear, non-yellowing va rnish that will be fine leaving it...
15
15

external wall insulation grants
How do external wall insulation grants work ? I assume the work has to be d one be a registered company and they keep some of the grant money. We had leaflet through the door saying the recent release...
37
37

Plywood cutting
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and the cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp blade, I think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't...
11
11

Boiler Service, then dripping overflow.
I had my boiler serviced the other day (Potterton Performa 24). Since then I noticed that the overflow is dripping (cold) and the pressure is high (3 bar), so I've called the guy who serviced it back....
17
17

Interesting article on wind turbines
US-centric, but applies to wind turbines in general. Looks at factors such as location, blade strength, mechanical stresses, height, the cost of building and shipping turbines, the economics of wind...
19
19