Glue identification

Does anyone know what type of glue this is:

Saw it in a pub last night, seemed to be doing a good job of holding the table together. The messy bead of glue was solid.

Reply to
RJH

Expanding foam adhesive?

Here's one...

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Polyurethane adhesive.

Peter Parry

looks like foaming polyurethane 'gorilla glue'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't think so - as I say, the bead was solid.

Reply to
RJH

I think the reason people are saying its an expanding foam glue is because of the amount of overspill basically. Colourwise it could be Cascamite or whatever its called nowadays, but with that type of glue you've got plenty of time to wipe it off. Hours in fact

Maybe you could also do that with an expanding foam if you were quick enough and had pleanty of experience of using it; which this person evidently didn't.

michael adams

michael adams

Yes, that's what I thought at first, but it did seem to be incredibly solid and not at all foamy. But I haven't used gorilla glue - so maybe that appears to be solid. It's of interest because it seems to have the ability to fill gaps without the glue stuff shearing.

So useful for some of my more rubbish joinery projects.

Reply to
RJH

Ah - could be, thanks. I use that a lot and hadn't realised it sets solid in that way. And the fixer certainly wasn't shy with the application!

It *looks* like some sort of slightly expanding foam adhesive, but as you say, could well be just a whole wodge of ordinary wood glue.

Reply to
RJH

+1. And they used too much.
Reply to
Bob Eager

I have that problem! My dad did too. I use the same glue he did - Cascamite.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The polyurethanes can be/are hard, but not as hard as epoxy and polyester.

The fact that its expanded out from the joint is a bit of a giveaway.

I cant think of any other glue that would do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It probably is a polyurethane moisture cure adhesive. They are astonishingly good and will catch you out in terms of expanding a few tens of seconds after application so that what looks like about the right amount at the outset then comes squirting out of the joint.

It is very good on irregular rough joints at filling voids and is waterproof once fully cured. Wear gloves it has a high grab factor and cure strength so you don't want to end up stuck to the job.

If you cut into it then you will see some bubbles. It doesn't expand a lot but factor of 2-5x before curing but that can leave you with beads of the stuff dripping off the job. It is easily trimmed off with a sharp knife before it has fully cured and with a bit more difficulty when it has reached full strength. Impressive for outdoor joinery.

A certain maker got into trouble with an advertising campaign for PU glues that didn't go down at all well in puritanical America...

Polyurethane glue - better than a good screw.

(or words to that effect)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Looks like a polyurethane one such as 'Gorilla' it goes in as a honey-like liquid and relies on a slightly damp surface to expand into a foam as it cures.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wonder how they'd get on with this one?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

No - it's not expanding foam, but you are all in the right ball park.

I would bet £5 that it is foaming PU glue.

The expansion rate is low and the overspill beads can seem solid (but they are not, just very dense).

Also the bead is about the right size. And yes, it could (and still can) be trimmed off with a sharp knife - easier after an hour, but still possible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well I can see "foaming", and I can see "expansion" there. So maybe its as well you restricted your ?5 bet to the PU bit. You can pay using Paypal, I take it ?

michael adams

michael adams

Terminology old son - I haven't lost the bet yet!

PU foaming glue != Expanding foam.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The expansion rate is zero != Expanding foam

shirley ?

Reply to
michael adams

Yes and no. Its almost the same except less foamy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are biros all made by Biro?

Expanding foam = stuff in a metal can, low density, primarily designed for filling space.

PU Glue - sold in a bottle or a mastic gun cartridge, designed to stick things.

Very different products, even though they have elements in common.

Reply to
Tim Watts