Static problems for a cleaner

OK maybe a bit off topic, but my upstairs has a problem when my cleaner uses the Henry, which is not faulty, she gets repeated shocks and dust builds up on the pipe and tools quite rapidly. Is there some kind of substance we can use other than to vacuum under a sprinkler, that can stop this kind of thing. I seem to not find the issue when I do it so I suspect her body or clothing may well be compounding this, and indeed, when the bed is changed you can hear static crackle. Its very annoying for her as it seems totally random. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 25/02/16 10:06, Brian Gaff wrote: I seem to not find the issue when I do it so I

She's a live wire. As a kid, here parents never grounded her. You know this 'opposites attract' theory?? There's quite a spark there.

You are blind. She can work naked. Ahem ... :)

You can get anti-static spray for clothing

and same for surfaces probably to coat the outside of Henry?

google "anti static spray esd"

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Dilute solution of fabric softener, sprayed on plastic parts, and also the floor. Most also have antistatic properties in addition to the "softening". Recipes on the net say. one or two tablespoons per cup of water, spray, done.

Alternatively, purpose-made sprays for controlling "ESD", electrostatic discharges, form electronics suppliers.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I imagine its the friction with the carpet that does a lot of it, but you can clearly feel the hairs raising when you get near to the pipe at some locations. Bet this did not happen when the tools were all made of metal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That sounds interesting. I have some comfort here at the moment. maybe a quick wipe over of the o outside bits of the cleaner might do the the trick then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Does she wear those nylon gingham tabards / housecoats popular with ladies of a certain age and social class?

A humidifier may help if the air is very dry - the little ceramic pots you fill with water and put on the radiators.

Or spray her with anti-static cleaning liquid, No Nonsense Anti-Static Clea ner 1Ltr, £3.99 per litre from Screwfix.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Usually made much worse by wearing artificial fabrics. Sadly, since they are so easy to wash etc, just the sort of thing you'd expect a cleaner to wear. Changing to cotton everything would make a vast difference. And leather soled shoes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, if you can convince her that she doesn't have an ASBO, a thin, short chain round her ankle and touching the carpet should discharge any static harmlessly as soon as it starts to build up.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not if it is the carpet that is the main source of the static (which if it is synthetic and in a dry environment can be quite common).

I recall one brand of antistatic carpet that was exceptionally bad if not maintained at the right working humidity and would permit really painful sparks to jump from people (ie. me) to door handles.

It tended to go badly wrong on cold dry winters days.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

The plastic connector part of the hose on my Miele has a steel wire inset which seems to be intended to ground any static. Perhaps the Henry lacks that?

Reply to
DJC